Help!! Injured Turkey

Sharronla

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2019
Hereford, AZ
My turkey was attacked 9 Jun. His right wing is missing flight feathers, his left side is missing feathers & skin, his left wing is sliced. I'm using Corona salve on his injuries, and then fly spraying him to keep flies off him. Giving him a warm bath to wash off old Corona & fly spray and putting on more after cleaning him. What else can I do. Is there some kind of antibiotic I can give? how can I tell if he has a fever? How do I take a turkey's temperature? He is isolated, eating ok, drinking ok, & pooping ok. Help???

nchls school

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
My turkey was attacked 9 Jun. His right wing is missing flight feathers, his left side is missing feathers & skin, his left wing is sliced. I'm using Corona salve on his injuries, and then fly spraying him to keep flies off him. Giving him a warm bath to wash off old Corona & fly spray and putting on more after cleaning him. What else can I do. Is there some kind of antibiotic I can give? how can I tell if he has a fever? How do I take a turkey's temperature? He is isolated, eating ok, drinking ok, & pooping ok. Help???
Check the wounds for redness and swelling (infection). If that checks out OK, keep on with what you're doing. Should there be signs of infection using an antibiotic cream will help (clean the wound well and remove dead material over the infected area before using the cream). Using fly spray may be harmful, so unless the label says it's safe to use as you are, stop using it. From what your post says your turkey is doing well and now that it has been three days since the attack I think you need not worry overmuch.

Top Bottom