Help! Injury!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicksneedhelp, Jul 31, 2013.

1. chicksneedhelp

chicksneedhelp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    I stupidly let my dogs stay out while putting the chickens in for the night. They had been good about leaving them alone, and thinking this was a peaceable kingdom, let down my guard. One dog went after a chicken and bit it's back about 3 inches from its tail. The gash is L shaped, the organs can be seen if the skin flaps back. The rooster then jumped on the chicken to apparently try to get it in the coop, but I was afraid he would hurt her even more. So have her in a little bed of her own with food and water. What else can I do? She has one leg that seems off, but wings seem to function. I am so sorry I didn't protect her better.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    We have all been through this. Since you have the chicken in an isolated place with food and water, look her over, and clean the gash with any antiseptic you might have--betadine, hibiclens, or just dish soap and water. Dry it and make sure it has stopped bleeding. Apply some neosporin or other ointment. In the morning a picture might help. She may be in shock, and by morning you will know if she is going to make it. I've had chickens with no marks on them die within and hour, while the really wounded ones make it fine. Internal injuries and broken necks are what they do worst with. Keep her warm if it is chilly.

3. chicksneedhelp

Jul 31, 2013
    Oh, thank you! She does look alert, and has not bled much although she lost quite a few feathers. I found an avian vet and put a call in to her, bit have not heard back. I so appreciate your advice - I will clean her wound and check to see if there are others, although I may be crying so it will be hard to see. Thank you so much.

4. chicksneedhelp

Jul 31, 2013
    Her injuries are much worse than I originally had seen. Haven't heard from the vet yet, but she needs some serious surgery to close the wound. May not come in time. But she is still alert and seems to be resting and as comfortable as circumstances allow. I did cleanse the wound and put neosporin in it.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If vet cannot or will not treat chicken,make sure wound is cleaned several times a day,dog bites are puncture wounds and can become nasty. Chickens heal very fast,provided no infection sets in. Signs of infection are redness,swelling,foul smell from wound,chicken not eating/drinking,lethargic. Skin will heal,stitching may not be necessary if wound is not bleeding. Watch for maggots. Give her electrolytes for shock,make sure she is eating/drinking. For pain you can get Metacam from a vet,or give her a baby aspirin(81mg)dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. You mentioned in post that she was not bleeding so aspirin can be given(do not give if heavy bleeding,aspirin is a blood thinner). Crush and put in water or sprinkle over food,may make her sleepy.

6. chicksneedhelp

Jul 31, 2013
    Thank you for the information. She was still alive this morning but it didn't look like she had eaten or drunk anything and her little head was down. The local vet said he would look at her and told me he treated farm animals including chickens - a good resource for the future. But her wound had caused neurological damage to her spinal cord, and she had lost the use of her legs. The wound had torn so large he said it didn't look like her skin would cover it (at one point the roo had jumped on her back also). So I told her how sorry I was and he put her to sleep.

She was a barred rock, and the other barred rock stood by her through the incident. When I took her away to her own little nest, the roo crowed several times. Since then, he and the other four chickens seem to be watching for her. It seems like they have become a real community. They got watermelon, corn on the cob and raspberries tonight and some mealworms (ick) for comfort food.

Thank you again.

7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    My condolences,very heartbreaking when a pet dies. Chickens do suffer depression when one member of their flock dies,egg production may stop for awhile,all will return to normal just may take them some time.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry that you lost her. We all get attached to them.

9. chicksneedhelp

Jul 31, 2013
    Thank you for the kind words. The chickens have been watching for her and not eating very much. I let them out yesterday and stayed with them, then ran in to get my phone to take some pictures. When I came back they were nowhere to be seen - but found them hiding/roosting in a big bush right where they last saw her. I got some good pix and lured them back to their hen house with an ear of corn...had no idea chickens formed such attachments. Very sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by