Help insides out of belly button?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bobbyc1970, Dec 18, 2010.

1. bobbyc1970

bobbyc1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    Hi i just had a baby chick hatch and a little of its insides or sticking out of its outside where the belly button would be? wut can i do? [​IMG][​IMG] or wut did i do wrong? any help would be appreciated thank you Bobby

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    When chicks hatch, if conditions aren't 100% (e.g. a tiny bit too hot so they hatch early) they sometimes haven't quite absorbed all the yolk through their navel. This can be left hanging and can be a source of germ entry.

Best thing is to leave it in the incubator until the yolk is all absorbed, and hope the chick survives. Many do.

I'm not sure of any conditions where the gut is outside the gut wall, but I suppose that kind of deformity might happen... That would be unsurvivable, unfortunately. [​IMG]

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Guts out is survivable - many chicks have survived it - The gut needs to be gently put back in ( They should be washed with sterile water as they need to remain moist to work!!!) and then the wound sealed with a bit of supper glue.

HOWEVER - in your case I am pretty sure what your seeing is the Egg sac and if so it should absorb it if left in the incubator for 2/3 days. THe egg sac should fall off on its own. Your chick should be ok up to 3 days in the incubator. It does not need food or water as it should still obsorb the egg sac even when its hatched. - I had a chick like that and it was fine.

I also had a chick with guts out - sadly it was a cull and did not survive. It was under a hen and sadly I think she stood on it.

Oesdog - leave your chick it should be fine - [​IMG] I don;t think it is guts - EGG SAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. bobbyc1970

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    thank you gonna leave it be. its a little yellow. I want to thank ya'll for writing. I am hoping for the best and i am gonna leave it alone. [​IMG] I hope it survives. I got them from shipped eggs. the other just hatched and its doing great. [​IMG] never had two hatch from shipped eggs. Thank you Bobby

5. bobbyc1970

Dec 14, 2010
    Bristow Oklahoma
    hate to say it but the chick died this morning [​IMG]

6. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Sorry to hear that. - Its so hard to give advice without pictures. Sometimes if the egg sac isn;t absorbed you have a weak chick that does not thrive.
    Sadly even some healthy chicks fail to thrive and die for no good reason no matter what you do. You at least tried.

Oesdog - [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SilverLacedMom

SilverLacedMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    I am so sorry for your loss, it is my greatest fear hatching my first eggs...

Hugs. Hang in there.

9. funnybirds

funnybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    [​IMG]
    So sorry.I know how hard this is. Hang in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by