Help integrating 9 week old with 19 week olds.. when will they stop...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Carpe DiHen, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    I have (4) 19 week olds and (2) chicks that are now 9 weeks old. I have had my run split in two by chicken wire for 3 weeks now where the two sets could see each other. The young chicks use a dog crate for a coop in their half of the run.

I took the wire down yesterday afternoon to integrate the flock. I sat out there till night time with a squirt bottle and supervised the process, then put the chicks into their dog crate for the night. They are together again today. All the younger two are doing is running for cover and don't come out untill the older hens take a break under the coop. None of the older hens are very persistant, but my Polish roo is the worst at seeking the young ones out. I have tossed out scrath and hug leaves of kale to distract the older chicken, and that helps. But anytime the older hens get close to the young ones they peck them into hiding into the dog crate.

I have two question:
    1) When will the older chickens quit chasing the young chicks into the dog crate and contantly picking on them? I do not free range, they are locked in the run together.

2) Should I try putting the younger two in the big chicken coop tonight?

I've read you wait till everyone is asleep, then place them on the roost with the older chickens. I am scared to lock them in the coop with the older chickens because they won't have any place to run away to. [​IMG]

This is hard! [​IMG]

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    it is hard..they are establishing a pecking order. I tried it earlier with some that were about 12 weeks and 6 weeks and they chased them so bad I finally seperated them until much later..once the little ones are about 12 weeks they can and more apt to defend themselves. I have heard about doing it at nigt, but I am like you. supposed I am not there in the morning when they get up and I can't protect them from the bullies...

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    mine are 1 year and the other 2 are 6 months they chase them i still have them seperate.

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    There was a post on here earlier today by someone who tried putting them in the coop after dark...went out at 6am to check on them and one had almost been scalped! Sent a pic, was very ugly! I would wait!

5. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:Oh my gosh!

I gave up. They are wired back into their side of the run....

When to try again?

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Whenever i do it, i make so the little ones DO have a place to hide inside the coop. This way, they can decide when it's o.k. to join the troops on the big girl roost. It might be a while, but that's o.k. The pecking order puts them at the bottom.

Now, it probably depends on how your coop is set up as to whether this is practical for you, but it's what i do.

7. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:My coop is small...mostly roosts and nesting boxes. I could add a little box or something but not much...

I thought BYC raising was going to be easier, I wish I had a ranch, pasture and a barn... [​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Well, another strategy is to put one of your more docile hens in the pen with the young ones and give them a chance to make friends. Once they're getting along, you can add another, etc. Don't give up hope! [​IMG] It just takes a little time to figure out which methods work for you and yours. [​IMG]

9. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:Excuse me oldchickenlady, can you paste me that thread? I looked but could not find it. I am curious about ages, type coop etc.

Thank you [​IMG]

10. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:Thanks PunkinPeep, I'll think about that. My three hens and my Polish roo were pretty even at picking on the yougsters. My alpha hen was the least threatend and maybe....

Loved seeing your coop being built on your BYC site and your "Greatest Chicken Dog in the World" dog looks sooooo cute! Has it worked out that way? Your coop looks lovely and well built!

Appreciate the advice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by