Help interpreting local ordinance

psxboy

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
I've been fascinated by chickens for some time now & I finally decided to find out if I'm actually allowed to keep a couple in my back yard. I followed the advice on this board & found my local ordinances online, and based on what I found I think I'm allowed.

There are only three places where poultry is mentioned, and two of them aren't relevant (one deals with licenses for food establishments and the other refers to "poultry netting"). This is under "Keeping of animals":

§ 333-4. Harboring of certain animals.
A. No rabbits, hares, guinea pigs or similar animals and no poultry shall be kept or permitted to be kept in the Borough of Maywood for the purpose of breeding or selling.
B. No person shall keep, raise, breed or sell any sheep or goat in the Borough of Maywood.
C. No person shall keep, raise, breed or sell any skunk, mink or fox in the Borough of Maywood.

That's it... in my mind that means I can keep them as pets. But I figured I'd post here and see if there were any general "gotchas" I should look for first.

Thanks!
psxboy​

Thats kinda what I take from it. It does look like you can have them for pets but I would assume that you wouldnt be able to own a rooster maybe (because that might be considered breeding purposes). Maybe someone else can give better clarification.

I think you're correct - it doesn't actually state you can have them as pets, it just prohibits keeping them for the purpose of breeding or selling. And since you not doing that, and only intend to keep them as pets, you can't exactly violate a ordance that doesn't exist or one that is silent on your particular situation.

Can you post the ordance about poultry netting? I'd be interested in reading that one. It may shed some light on coop restrictions and/or setback requirements from abutting properties.

Phyllis
P.S. - in case anyone has ever wondered: the "§" symbol means "section" in legal citation!

Last edited:
You're good to go. I think their intent was to stop any sort of business type enterprises with these animals but allow people to keep them for personal use, whether it be as a pet or as family livestock.

I read his ordinances. The part about poultry netting is in banned fence materials. It just says it is banned along with barbed wire, eletric fence wire, snow fences, etc.

What is a borough? In Wisconsin we only have villages and cities, any other area within a county that is not incorporated as a village or city is considered part of a town (civil township).

I read it the same way, that he can keep them as pets but not for production/breeding purposes as in a business. My best advice would be to contact your local county extension agent or make an anonymous call to your local animal control authority and see what they have to say. There may be certain restrictions as to building codes as well that you may have to consider, Some places require you to have a building permit under certain circumstances.

A word of caution here, depending on how close you are to your neighbors you may want to talk to them about how they feel. Neighbors can be either your best support or your worst enemies in regards to keeping any animals. Also some places may let you keep hens but not roosters.

Good Luck

Cool! I'm really excited about this. I live in a relatively affluent area just outside of New York City and I just assumed chickens would be prohibited. I'm glad I took the time to actually look. And yeah, I only plan on having two hens... no roosters. I doubt my neighbors will care (or even know) about the chickens but they probably wouldn't be to happy about a rooster. It's probably a good idea to ask them first though.

Mac: You're fast (and resourceful). You answered SewingDiva's question about the fencing while I was drafting a reply. Anyway, in New Jersey a Borough is "a type of independent incorporated municipality". (I didn't know that before... I had to check WikiPedia. lol!)

FrChuckW: Thanks for the advice about calling the local animal control authority. I'll do that too.

Thanks for your help!
psxboy

Back
Top Bottom