1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP interventionist needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kizanne, Dec 24, 2011.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ok so we are going on day 23 and I had one pip a tiny spot 9 hours ago but got no farther.

She had 8 siblings running around some of them had been out for 30 hours and they were cheeping quite loudly and eating everything they could including the egg carton in the incubator.

the Humidity was dropping down to 53% and I couldn't squirt in more water cause of the hatched chicks in the way.

Anyways, I decided to pull the ones that were out and intervene as needed for the pipper at least get more water in there to bring up the humidity.

PLEASE KNOW THIS HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE SO THE I WOULDN'T HAVES AREN'T NEEDED. HELPFUL ADVICE ON GOING FORWARD IS.....
    I took it out of the incubator and placed in on a warm wash cloth.

I very carefully removed egg shell from around the hole. The membrane other than where the chick had an external pip was very white and dry not sign of veins or anything.

I removed the outside membrane to find the chick on its side (compared to up) and having an internal membrane tightly on the chick except for its beak which was sticking out.

The inside membrane appeared to have veins running through it it was a web facing up where the air sac was. The membrane as it approached meeting the shell was very white and dry looking. I got a cuetip and dampened the internal membrane and place the whole bowl washcloth and egg back in the incubator with more water so that the humidity will come up.

Was he shrink wrapped? does he just need more time to develop? What can I do at this point? He is now in the incubator by himself and three non-pipped eggs so no one to mess with him.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Here's hard to see picture (through the bator window not opening less I need to.

[​IMG]

on the left you can see the beak sticking out and on the right you can see the whitish veins there are reddish veins you can't see very well this is after I used a q-tip to moisten it up the before pictures didn't work because my memory card was no in the camera (arggggg)

3. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    all I've done right now is take off the cap you can see how white the external membrane is the internal was almost that white over a large portion of the exposed area. I'm not sure he or one of his sisters did the external pip where it was doesn't seem like he could have reached without having a larger opening in that internal membrane.

4. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Wish I could help, - I've only hatched once, and never had to deal with this.

Is the chick moving around? It sounds like you we doing all you can.

Good luck!

5. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    [​IMG]

Better picture

6. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I would keep the membrane moist, you can wrap it with a damp paper towel or napkin, let the veins dry up and see if he starts to zip after the veins are all gone. If not, remove the inner membrane once no veins are left and give him a chance to wriggle out on his own. [​IMG]

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    I sent you a pm [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    it is hard to see but most the veins are very white do they actually disappear or just dry out. I know it looks reddish but there is no free blood and not much in the way of red veins. I am keeping it moist and going with wait and see. I was able to bring the humidity up since I took the other chicks out.

9. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    they just kinda go away as far as I have seen...if no red, they are "done." not sure what the white is...but not blood filled vessels...

10. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well she didn't make any progress but seems to breathe alittle easier and is vocal. I peeled a little more shell away and outer membrane. Still don't have the head completely free of shell yet. Letting her get warmed up and humid so the membrane will soften more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by