Help! Intestines hanging out of just hatched chick.

coffeeaddict

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2014
The egg it hatched from was very small. Spitzhauben. I've been worried about this one from the beginning. Does it have a chance? I have it in a disposable cup lined with paper towel isolated in the incubator. Anything I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_1054 2.jpg
    IMG_1054 2.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 16
Did you help this baby hatch ? Or did it do it on its own ?
Could they be the yolk sac not intestines ?
It’s hard for me to tell in the pictures if that’s yellow or red
No, I did not assist this one. It was zipping and was face down in a carton holder so I moved it to the side gently, but it was already 90 percent out at that point. It looked reddish to me. I can try to get another pic if that would help.

No, I did not assist this one. It was zipping and was face down in a carton holder so I moved it to the side gently, but it was already 90 percent out at that point. It looked reddish to me. I can try to get another pic if that would help.
Only reason I asked was usually they don’t zip until absorbed
If it’s red then it maybe something more
More pics may help
I have only ever hatched ducklings but I imagine things should look the same not having anything coming out if the belly

Yes that’s yolk sac
That’s good news
Maybe a few hours and it should be absorbed
Keep baby in that cup on dry paper towel till it’s absorbed and then it won’t rupture it
I had one I had to help that had a little yolk like that. Took 2 hours and baby was great. She is now a year old :)

Yes that’s yolk sac
That’s good news
Maybe a few hours and it should be absorbed
Keep baby in that cup on dry paper towel till it’s absorbed and then it won’t rupture it
I had one I had to help that had a little yolk like that. Took 2 hours and baby was great. She is now a year old :)
Thank you so much. That gives me hope. I'll keep a close eye on the baby and check in a few hours to see how the sac looks.

The baby jumped out of a tall plastic cup inside the incubator. 😱 I've now added one layer of cheesecloth to the top secured with a rubber band to help prevent more escapes. The sac looks darker and like it's starting to shrivel. I applied some bacitracin ointment. 🙏

Back
Top Bottom