HELP! Intestines?? *PIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Jul 13, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    This chick just hatched (it was the one that pipped low). Please tell me if I should do anything.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You need to just leave it alone, nothing you can do. If it's yolk, it will absorb and whatever is left will dry up. If it's grayish and looks like intestines, it wont make it. I'd just leave it be and let time work it out.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    It definitely doesn't look grayish - it's reddish/orange and there are veins. Could this be the yolk sac?

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That looks more like a yolk sac. Cover it with a damp cloth and stick it back in your bator. Time will tell. Good luck.

5. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    We've had a few with this before. Some absorbed it and were fine after a good ressting period and a couple didn't do so good and died.
    Blessings,
    Amy J.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Then it sounds like it may be fine. Just allow the baby to fluff out totally before putting it with others in the brooder. By then, the sack will be drying up and not that noticable.

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Thank you all. It's still sleeping but hanging in there.

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Yep, that's a bit of yolk not yet absorbed. Back in the bator with the humidity. It'll probably absorb it fine in the next few hours. Just don't let another chick in with it...pecking, etc... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I just went down to check and it seems to be doing ok; drying off and was up walking a little. I didn't put it back in the bator because I had another one hatching and didn't want to risk the humidity, which was down to about 67%. Probably would have been ok but I wasn't sure. So it's in a big bowl on a towel under a heat lamp with one other that isn't doing so well. Both are sleeping so no worries about picking.

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Excellent! I had a feeling it would do ok....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by