1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Into'd roo this morning and not sure it's going well.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Benelli, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    I just introduced a Buff roo to my six happy hens and two peahens. Things didn't go well. He immediately attacked my dominant RIR. I broke them up but not before she drew blood on his beard(?). He went after the peahens too. All I did the first 15 minutes was break up fights. Is this normal? Things have gotten a little quieter, hence I"m in here asking for input. I know there's a "pecking order" that needs to be established, but I really wasn't expecting fights, just a little pushing and shoving so to speak.

2. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    It took 3 days when I introduces a roo after mine died warding off a neighbors dog.

3. Benelli

Sep 18, 2009
    Three days to chill out? Yikes, did you allow him in the coop at night before the three days?

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    What you want to do first is put him in a separate pen/coop where he is not able to get to the hens, but is still able to see them. Chicken wire is sufficient enough.

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    The new rooster always fights the dominant hen if she doesn't agree he is the boss. Last time I introduced a new rooster, he fought the dominant hen, the second dominant hen and the third dominant hen, before the rest of the hens said "OK, You The Man for us!" In my flock this took all of 2 hours. It really depends on the flock - how strong hens and rooster are how combative their natures are, if they've been with a rooster before.

Were they able to see each other visually prior to the introduction?

6. Benelli

Sep 18, 2009
    Too late for that. My tractor coop is occupied by my neighbors injured hen, unrelated. They're all in the fringe of the woods now scratching so hopefully this is a good sign.

7. Benelli

Sep 18, 2009
    I let him hang out outside the coop for about 30 minutes and no issues. The peahens were out with him and gave him a wide berth. When I let the hens out things were fine for about a minute or two and then off they go scraping. The peahens are sissies until the hens are out then they get a little brave. They're actually a little protective of the hens too. When he jumped on the 2nd dominant hen, one of the peahens tried to join in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by