HELP! Intoducing broody silkie hen to four-week-old chicks today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joebryant, Jun 14, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

In about six hours I will be bringing home two broody black silkie hens and one blue silkie rooster; all three are one year old. I am giving the rooster and one of the hens to another guy who wants them, so I will have one silkie hen that's broody to introduce to my ten four-week-old blue Orpington chicks.
    What should I do? Will she try to kill my chicks if I put her with them, or will she adopt them as hers? Will they try to hurt her?

2. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    Are you trying to get the hen to mother the chicks? If so I am pretty sure it isn't going to work. I would be shocked if it did. If you mean you are just going to put them in the same pen they will probably be ok. I don't think that the hen will try to kill the chicks. The chicks definatly won't hurt her. The hen may peck at the chicks a little. You will just have to try it out and see what happens.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Yeah-she won't mother them at that age. Just put her in there and watch them for a bit. If she is drawing blood-separate them for a few more weeks.

4. joebryant

There's no problem. Anne and I thought the silkies were so neat that we decided to keep all three. They're now in a large dog crate in the garage. Within a week or two, I'll have a new coop built for them.
    BTW, there is a blue hen, a black hen, and a blue rooster. Gotta luv 'em.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. joebryant

That was a QUICK romance. I just now took the rooster that was continuously crowing along with the black hen and gave them to the guy whom I was originally going to give them to. Great looking, sweet rooster, but his never-ending crowing was driving me bananas.
    I put the blue hen in with the ten four-week-old blue Orpingtons, and you'd've thought that she had always been in there with them. No problem whatsoever from/for her or the babies.
    ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  6. Jades Chickens

Jades Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Sno.co.Wa.
    I just had to write and say that is pretty funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by