1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Introducing 1 week baby chick to 4 week chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovelyletty7, Sep 6, 2016.

1. lovelyletty7

lovelyletty7 New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    My cat brought home a chicken about 4 weeks ago. A little leghorn. I wanted to re home it but my husband insisted we keep it and get more! LoL so I said sure why not! We went to the feed store and got a americauna and a silkie. The americauna is mean! We decided to get another americauna chick today. To make a total of 4 just in case the leghorn is a rooster. We introduced it to the brooder and the americauna was ok with it for most of the day but then it started bullying it and peaking at it. So I took the baby chick out and put it in a makeshift brooder with the silkie. I was wondering if this was ok? The silkie lets the little chick go under it and sits on it. The silkie is very nice. Should I put the brooder next to each other with a divider and re introduce them when the baby chick is older? Any advice would be helpful.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think that your idea is a sound one, for the time being.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with Ken........might try putting them together after a few days.
    Mix and match, see who gets along with who, chicken juggling!
    Might take some time for them all to get along.

4. lovelyletty7

lovelyletty7 New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi thanks for the replies. I've been putting chickens with chickens and she is still very mean. I don't know what to do. I've put her by herself. She flys up in the air and uses her little claws to pounce on the other chickens. What should I do?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I put bully chicks in bully chick jail, right in the brooder for a little time out.

It's going to take time, and trail and error before they get along, don't expect it all to change to rainbows within a few days.
    It could take weeks to get them all integrated. Keep their cages next to each other so they can see each other.
    How big are you brooders?

Chick Bully Jail....1/2" hardware cloth.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by