Help Introducing 4mo old Barred Rock rooster to Silkies & chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by faith0428, Aug 16, 2011.

1. faith0428

faith0428 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    Hi,

We have a Barred Rock rooster, Buddy, who is around 4 1/2 months old. He actually finally figured out (after weeks of trying) how to crow a week or so ago. He is what is left of our small flock of 3 hens and a rooster all of the same age. The hens were gotten by raccoons a couple of weeks ago. We bought some (25 actually, although one died) chicks (Barred Rocks, RIRs, and Ameracaunas) from our local feed store just days after the hens were killed. We also just got 6 Silkies on Sunday - 2 are adults and 4 are about 5 months old.

We have been keeping the chicks and Silkies in our chicken coop and Buddy stays in the run during the day and in a dog kennel inside the coop at night. Sometimes during the day we allow Buddy to free range while I let the chicks and Silkies in the run for some fresh air and sunshine (we always stay around and keep an eye on them during that time). Buddy has always been mild mannered and was very good with the hens we used to have. We tried introducing Buddy on Sunday to our new chicks and Silkies by allowing him in the run with them and he started being aggressive - pecking at the chicks and he even went after one of the silkies. Since then, we haven't allowed him with them again other than in the dog kennel at night. Any suggestions on how to introduce him and do you think they will eventually get along? I'm guessing it will just depend on Buddy's attitude. I did think about putting him inside the run when the chicks and silkies are in there, but having him in the dog kennel so he can't do any damage. Do you think that might work?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I personally would have serious reservations about integrating a standard rooster into a flock with silkies and silky chicks. With the size difference there is potential for serious injury.

3. faith0428

faith0428 New Egg

May 1, 2011
    The chicks are actually barred rocks, rhode island reds, and amaracaunas. And yes, I do have reservations too. I was just hoping that maybe he would turn out gentle enough, but since he has been showing signs of aggression, I'm not sure if it will work out or not. We might have to come up with a way to keep the silkies separate. I think the chicks will be ok once they become adults, if we don't decide to get rid of the rooster by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by