Help Introducing new chicks

Lestagechicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Cypress, TX
I already have three 4 week old chicks and the hubby and I are wanting another three. Our local feed store will have 3 day olds available on Friday. I mentioned to the store owner that I would be there first thing Friday morning to pick up three more and he strongly advice that I don't. He said the big ones will kill the little ones unless I put them in a different brooder. I am thinking of moving the bigger ones outside to the coop so I can place the newbies in the brooder. My concern is how can I introduce the newbies to the older ones while still keeping them alive?

I have ten three week old chicks and today I bought three two day old chicks. I put them all in the same huge brooder that I have and the older ones were curious but not overly aggressive towards the new ones. I have separate water and feed bottles for them and I had to work tonight so I did put a window screen between them right before I left just to be on the safe side. I think I will continue to take the screen out while I am right there watching and put it back when I have to leave for any length of time. This way they can get used to each other. And with the screen they can still see each other.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom