Help Introducing New Pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bathchickengirl, Jul 30, 2013.

1. bathchickengirl

bathchickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    I had 4 girls all 15 weeks old- 2 Leghorn, 1 White Rock and 1 Buff Orpington. I live in a suburban development on about 3/4 of an acre. I have a coop with a run and also have an 8x8 fenced in pen built around the coop. The 4 girls free range a bit under supervision only and are pretty easy to round up when playtime is over.
    Today I got 2 additional pullets- 1 Barred Rock and 1 Easter Egger both 13 weeks old. I put them all together for a short time tonight and it didn't seem to go well. The Barred Rock flew the pen- I chased her around the neighborhood for a half an hour. One Leghorn flew into a tree and eventually the Easter Egger flew over the fence as well. It was a temporary nightmare. For now the Easter Egger and the Barred Rock are in my garage for the night in separate spaces because when I put them together the Rock was pecking the heck out of the Easter Egger.
    Suggestions?? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I am new to this chicken thing and I didn't even think that these kinds of things would happen.

[​IMG]

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    this is what chickens do you have to be prepared. you need to introduce them together by letting them look at each other through chicken wire but cant get to each other. do this for about a month then merge them

3. troy4

troy4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    You need to let them in a huge open area together when it gets alomst sun down put them in so then they will have a little time to get to know each other. If they fight its ok just make sure no bleeding on the back or wings or the tummy These things arent ok . These r ok face or legs or a few feathers tore out is ok! GOOD LUCK!!!!![​IMG] Reason i say a big open area is because so they can run fast if their getting beat up too much!

PS.Give them treats they won't fight as much they will be focused on their treat. Every once in a while they will peck them its ok though!!! GOOD LUCK AGAIN LOL!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  4. troy4

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    if they bleed badly and continue to fight,take them out and maybe either build a new cage or just keep trying.I have these probs alot!!!

5. troy4

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    How big is your yard? If i know then i will tell u to free range them together it depends on your yard size.

6. troy4

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Or just simply take a picture of your backyard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by