Help! is my ameraucana a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kmetzker, Jul 31, 2011.

1. kmetzker

kmetzker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    [​IMG]

my girls are 3 months old and i'm starting to suspect the ameraucana is a rooster. Mavis is the on the left in the photo. Can anyone confirm? she's not crowing and does not have spurs yet.

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

OHHHhhhh yeah! [​IMG] handsome EE boy. Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
    AlleysChicks likes this.
  3. foREVer

foREVer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Definately a roo. Oh, and the breed is actually an Easter Egger, a cross of Ameraucana and any other breed, resulting in the beautiful, colorful feathers.

AlleysChicks likes this.
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Pretty Easter Egger roo you have there.

AlleysChicks likes this.
  5. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    ooooooooh [​IMG] by the time he's 2 years old he'll be GORGEOUS! Already has the doop-de-doo taily plume at only 3 months old?! I think he's worth something to somebody out there.

We had a pretty one who hardly ever crowed. He could, but he was more into looks than talk. Rarely if everybody was crowing he'd crow too, but only rarely. He was also very nice.

We have a perfectly female hen who usually crows. So, crowing hasn't been the easy answer to roosterness around here.

6. kmetzker

kmetzker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    shoot. i'm in the city so if he crows i'm in trouble. he is beautiful though. is it possible that he'll not crow??

if he doesn't crow, will we have a problem with fertilized eggs? this is my first batch of chickens and i assumed i had all hens so wasn't concerned.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    The eggs will be fine to eat as long as they are collected almost every day! [​IMG] I hope he's a quiet one!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, he will crow. The eggs will be great, fertilized or not.

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    He's gonna be a good lookin' rooster! [​IMG]

10. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:I live in town, in the city too. Rarely our rooster crows, but usually it attracts a lot of attention because he crows to the "music" of the schoolbusses lining up in front of our house at pickup and dropoff time at our public school across the street. I have heard a lot of gossip about our rooster crowing, both bad and good. The city informed me one person made a complaint, but was told by the city officer to go home and mind his own business. About a year later, our alderman visited and told us he defends a flocks' right to keep a rooster. "Anybody who keeps chickens ought to have the right to keep a rooster, its just good for the hens and good for the family".

Sometimes I find myself blinking in disbelief at the blessings of my odd life. I hope your life is as blessed.

One lady told me "we'll get used to the rooster crowing, its just like getting used to ambulances and leaf blowers and cussing kids on the playground, EXCEPT THE ROOSTER NOISE IS JOYFUL!"

Leighe likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by