1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Is my egg still safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dita Von Cluck, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Dita Von Cluck

Dita Von Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Maine
    I just accidentally dropped an egg on the counter. I was able to salvage the yolk, etc. It was a fairly fresh egg from this week or perhaps the weekend. My concern is this: it still had the bloom on it(I don't rinse them off until right before use) so is it edible or would it be safer to toss? I don't want to waste it if i can. Should i bake something, fry it up as a snack...I hope this isn't a dumb question but it has never happened to me before!

2. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    When you dropped the egg, did the shell break and you now have an egg without a shell? The bloom is what protects the shell itself- so if you don't have a shell, and you have only the contents of the egg, the bloom is irrelevant. I don't see why this egg would not be edible- just use it- scrambled egg and toast sounds mighty good! :)

3. Dita Von Cluck

Dita Von Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Maine
    I guess I was under the assumption that if you cracked an egg without washing the bloom off, any bacteria the bloom collected, would go into the egg. I did end up eating it...fried it until the center was good & solid with a slice of buttered toast! Yum! :) thanks for the response!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    Nope! I never wash my eggs. The reason you don't want to wash your eggs (prior to storing them in the refrigerator) is because you would then remove the bloom which would then allow bacteria to enter through the shell into its contents. It also would mean you couldn't safely leave the egg unrefrigerated.

As far as washing the eggs before eating them (unless the shells are really dirty), I don't feel that it is necessary. If they're really dirty, then I would probably wash them immediately before using, just in case any little shell pieces end up in my cracked egg. But even then, we generally cook our eggs pretty well in whatever we're making and that tiny little piece of shell (and whatever is on it) likely won't do too much damage ;)

Glad you got a snack! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by