Help! Is my girl a drake??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Violetberry, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Violetberry

Violetberry New Egg

Jan 17, 2015
    Auckland, New Zealand
    [​IMG]

I bought two ducks off a breeder who told me they were Magpie ducks and definitely both girls. After posting their photos on Facebook I have been told that they are actually Welsh Harlequins and the one of the left (with the black and yellow bill) is a drake. I'm not bothered about the breed, but I specifically told the breeder I don't want a drake as I have chickens which my ducks will eventually be free ranging with. I swear I have heard them both "quack" but when I went to record them, I couldn't get the dark billed one to make a noise! As I have only had them for 4 days, neither have laid eggs, so I can't tell that way either. If one is a drake I will be demanding my money back, so opinions please!

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Without a photo of the tail or a recording of the quack, it's tough to tell. :/

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Looks like a girl to me. Drakes have dark greenish heads and bills and dark bodies. I'm not an expert though. They are welsh harlequins, magpies and white and black and are suppose to have a black "cap". My girl has a darker head like her.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  4. Violetberry

Violetberry New Egg

Jan 17, 2015
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Here is a short clip of her/his "quack"....

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of the tail feathers...

[​IMG]

5. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    That is very much a girl.

6. Lizard King

Lizard King Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    NSW Australia
    I Think It Is A Hen, Drakes Usually Have Curled Tail Feathers And Green Face/Neck And Look Like Giant Mallards

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    It's a girl. The tail isn't curled and the quack sounds like a female one. Welsh Harlequins are great ducks, pretty, friendly, and lay a lot. But if the lady told you they were magpies I would contact her and tell her that they aren't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by