help! is my hen a rooster?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Becky HENsen, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Becky HENsen

Becky HENsen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2014
    central jersey
    [​IMG].
    The one in the middle, I think she's a tetra tint. anyway I've had her for almost 4 months now me and her are very close! she was an only chicken until yesterday when we bought two more girls for her and a coop. She crows every morning at 6am and I live in a suburban town that doesn't allow roosters! I'm scared I'll get a complaint and they'll take her a way. She crows through out the day. She has a big red comb and is very dominating but friendly! No eggs yet. I know a hen can crow , especially if they were the only hen, or to show dominance, or to locate the flock. Please help!!

2. SMonroe1990

SMonroe1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2014
    New York
    If it's the white one you are talking about, that looks like a roo to me. I would think that a hen crowing would not be anything like a rooster crowing every morning and all throughout the day, maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully someone else will chime in though.

And btw [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, you have yourself a cockerel there! If you want to rehome him, you might try chatting with your chicken neighbors in your state thread. Maybe someone nearby will take him...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/537/new-jersey

When you have 20 posts here, you can place an ad in our Buy Sell and Trade section in hopes of finding him a nice home...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16182/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing

Good luck with your flock. I hope you can find him a nice forever home. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Yes, that is a rooster.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Handsome boy - crowing hens are not nearly as common as some folks think, and do not occur with young birds, but rather with older birds when it does happen.

1 person likes this.
  6. Becky HENsen

Sep 1, 2014
    central jersey
    Oh man. I am devastated. She, or he, is super friendly and followed me everywhere ! I am sooo upset! I have to get rid of him. I ordered the "no crow" collar, but it hasn't gotten here yet. Anyone ever use it? I hope it lowers the crow significantly because I want to keep my chicken !

7. Becky HENsen

Sep 1, 2014
    central jersey
    I'm from central jersey, anyone know anyone who wants to take her into a loving home?

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

I don't live anywhere near you, so I unfortunately can't help. I hope you find a home for "him"!

1 person likes this.
  9. Becky HENsen

Sep 1, 2014
    central jersey
    Wahhhhh!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Here is a couple of links to threads from others that may have used this collar....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/910670/no-crow-collars

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/906916/no-crow-rooster-collar

I am so sorry about your baby. You might try keeping him caged for a few hours a day. If you keep him in a cage that he cannot fully extend himself, he won't be able to crow. So at least you can keep him quiet for some of the day, letting him out occasionally. I wouldn't leave him in a tiny cage for long periods, but for a few hours to keep him quiet during the hours you need him to be quiet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by