Help! Is my hen dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewBostonChick, Feb 4, 2013.

1. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    My barred rock hen is not doing well.. last week I noticed she would stand in the same spot motionless for a long time. The last few days she has been all puffed up and hanging her head and when I pick her up, she curls her feet. I brought her in the house this morning and gave her a warm bath, thinking maybe she is egg bound. She is in a basket next to me, eyes are closed, head hanging down. Took a few drops of water. Her toes are still curled. She is breathing and back end is moving slowly as if she is trying to pass something. I had massaged gently her abdomen and could not feel an egg. She is still all puffed up like a ball of feathers. I do not know her exact age as she was given to me a few years ago.. she may be older than 3 or 4 yrs old. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? She is my sweet girl with the friendliest personality of all my girls...

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

There is really a lot of things it could be. She's at an age where it's common for hens to start having reproductive tract/laying issues, it could be a tumor of some sort, some other kind of organ problme/failure, high parasite load, it's just almost impossible to tell. It sounds like breathing is getting difficult for her. Chickens hide their illness extrememly well so by the time they are showing obvious signs like this they are very sick. Has she shown any sign of respiratory disease? Coughing, wet sneezes, rattling breathing sounds? Has she been on a regular deworming schedule?

Just a few things to think about. But, short of taking her to an avian vet, it's so often really hard to try to diagnose them.

3. NewBostonChick

NewBostonChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    New Boston, NH
    I did take her to a vet and she was almost dead when we got there... she passed and he did an autopsy and said she had a cancer tumor in her intestine.. he said it is very rare.. He said they puff up like that to try and keep warm... She was a sweetie girl.. Thanks for your reply.... :-(

4. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Sorry about your girl. I just lost my own Barred Rock. Also a sweetheart. Raised from a chick and very friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by