Help! Is my hen sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by slfiggins, Aug 16, 2010.

1. slfiggins

slfiggins Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    I have 9 hens all about 21 weeks old. When I let them out to free range they have always stick together. Last night one of my Light Brahmas stuck close to the hen house while all the others left and were out of site for a couple hours. I have never seen it do this. Now today when I let them in the run all the hens were happily pecking ground and she just stood there crouched down with her eyes closed. It seems all she wants to do is sleep. Is she sick? I have noticed also that her eyes look normal but the red skin around the eyes is turning a shade of brown. I don't know what to do for her. Should I separate her from the others? Thanks for the help.

Sara
    http://learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I had a hen act the same way last summer, she fell behind the flock, stood in the yard with her eyes closed and seemed quite weak and sleepy. I isolated her and forced water, small amouts on her and hand feed her fresh corn, that's all she would eat. She was fine in two days and has been the strong hen since. Not sure if she consumed something not so good for her while freeranging or what, but with a little extra care she was fine. I hope you get the same results, but I would separate her just in case she has something that can spread to the rest of the flock. good luck

3. epitidios

epitidios Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    My birds that were like this was due to tape worms. Is the hen losing weight? Is she does then there is tape worm infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by