Help! Is my polish a pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FallbrookFarmn, Nov 6, 2016.

1. FallbrookFarmn

FallbrookFarmn New Egg

Oct 29, 2016
    Fallbrook, California
    Hi guys!

I'm trying to figure out if Tina should actually be named Todd. She's about 7 weeks old and has deep red waddles. She's a little kooky and from time to time runs up to another pullet with her chest out and neck feathers up. I think Tina is a cockerel but I'm looking for your help to be sure! Thank you in advance! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Yeah I think it's a cockerel

1 person likes this.
  3. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    With those wattles, change it to Todd "Da Man".

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Todd, if the age is right.

1 person likes this.
  5. FallbrookFarmn

FallbrookFarmn New Egg

Oct 29, 2016
    Fallbrook, California
    Yeah, that's what I thought. What age do pullets wattles normally come in? I'm so sad that Tina is a Todd, I don't want to give her up. Is there any benefit to having a rooster? We don't plan on having more chickens and my husband says bye bye tinatodd.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  6. Sherloki

Sherloki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2016
    Texas
    A roo could serve as a protecter, if there's any predators around you're area. Depends on how many girls you have though. I can say that I have two polish pullets that are about 12 weeks old and they don't yet have wattles.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Actually polish and silkies are more likely predator magnets. With their big crests and beards their vision is obscured. It's not that likely a rooster could fight off a predator and with poor vision wouldn't even sound the alarm.

8. sunshade

sunshade Just Hatched

Nov 6, 2016
    Wow Tina is adorable! Love his/her hair, lol!

9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Even though there are no tell tell feathering signs, those are very big waddles.... which unfortunately confirms I also have a WCBP cockerel. [​IMG] But Small Fry will be staying if flock dynamics allow. Was just hoping for some cute eggs.

A good rooster MIGHT be good. But my flock would be happier without them! And as stated... probably not Todd. Even if he stands up for the girls, his chances for survival are small. [​IMG] He is cute though! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by