Help! Is my Red star sex-link almost ready to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    This is my little Red star sex-link named Fluffer-nugget. Shes about 5 months old, and ive noticed that almost overnight, her comb has shot up pretty big. I have a picture of her below as well as a link to a video of her. The video is of her doing what i think is squatting. Please help me figure out if she is getting ready to lay! And also, if theres an estimation of when she may start, that would be GREAT!! Thanks everyone! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video ->

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, yes! Once they begin squatting, and their combs are noticeably redder in color, those are signs of maturity. So you should have eggs within a week or two!

3. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

Could be any day now! Some chicks mature a bit faster than others, but all 4 of mine started laying within1 week and a half, all just at 5 M.O.!! Keep a good look out! [​IMG]

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Should be any day![​IMG]

5. sdeneen2001

sdeneen2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    She may be getting ready to lay, but that isn't "the squat". She is just ducking out from under your hand. I've got one who is squatting, she spreads her legs and "braces herself", wings out and when I scritch her back, she lifts her tail. Afterwards, she fluffs and shakes. At least if I've done a good job... [​IMG]

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes soon, very soon. [​IMG]

7. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:X2....not to bring your hopes down, but when she squats, she won't move. She'll freeze, squat, and spread her wings out a little. My first one to do this just started a few days ago, so now when I go out and pet her, I do it with a little extra force, to help simulate as much of what she is expecting.[​IMG]
    I don't know how big combs usually get to tell if a chicken is getting close, but this same chicken that squats for me, has a comb-over. Her comb is so big, it lays accross the top of her head.
    She's a RIR, and layed at 18 weeks, and 2 days. I've gotten 2 good eggs from her, and a shell-less one.

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Weird-I keep youtube on safety mode because my kids go there to see videos. That video wouldn't come up with safety mode enabled but I can't figure out why. In the past, videos with the word sex in the description wouldn't come up but that one doesn't even have that. Stupid youtube. lol. Anyway I opened it in another browser and am waiting for it to load so I know what to look for when ours get closer. thanks for the video!

eta: guess that's not what to look for. Just saw the other posts. lol

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by