Help! Is my silkie molting or is this serious?

SilkieRen

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2019
I haven't had chickens for very long so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. My silkie, Ru, who is about 1 year old, has started losing a lot of feathers very fast! Yesterday during treat time, she looked fine though there were a lot of feathers in the coop and then 2 hours later, her head looks like she's going bald! Is this the molting that I've been hearing about or is this something serious I need to worry about? She seems to be acting normally, eating, drinking, dust bathing, ect.
20190925_080049.jpg
20190925_080122.jpg
20190925_080121.jpg

It is molting time and I suspect that is what is happening to your silkie. I'm curious as to why her head feathers are wet and why there is one feather just laying on her head. It's always good to check for mites or lice, just in case, but my guess is molting.
The feather just laying on her head is falling off. I just didn't want to touch it since she really doesn't seem to like me touching her head. I'm not really sure why her head feathers are wet though. It rained a little last night so it might be that? It looks a lot like how her tail looks when she's broody. I haven't found any mites or lice but I'll keep an eye out. I just went out to check on her and it seems like she's losing feathers under her wings too

Back
Top Bottom