HELP! Is my sweet Agnes a roo??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickerdoodle, Jun 10, 2010.

1. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Little super sweet and friendly Agnes is seven and a half weeks old. She was out a week ago and I saw what I think might be ---saddle feathers??!? Could these actually be saddle feathers starting to show up at this early age?? They are rounded at the edge and so are her ( [​IMG] ) hackle feathers. She is an Easter Egger so I know they are tough to tell.

Can you look at the pictures (hope they are good enough) and tell me what you think?? Or maybe what I should look for (I know a crow is a telltale sign but they sound like chicks still).

Her back:
    [​IMG]

Saddle feathers?
    [​IMG]

Side again--notice the swoop by the base of her tail:
    [​IMG]

Front view:
    [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't think those are "saddle" feathers. Take a deep breath, calm down. [​IMG] I could be wrong, but I really don't think those are saddle feathers.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks for your thoughts--and support! [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I am a complete newbie to sexing EE and am seeking advice on a post today for one of my own. So...no vast experience here but to me she looks like a pullet..comb and round feathers...also her legs are not as thick as my EE roo`s did.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    looks like a pullet to me...that comb is very small and narrow. I have never seen sickle saddle feathers on a bird that young...

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    So far it looks like a pullet to me. I have a EE chick that I suspect is a roo, has a redder comb at a younger age than your chick.

7. sprawli

sprawli Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Pullet.

8. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    agree pullet

9. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I think it's a pullet as well. Her legs look a little thick in one of those pics, but her comb is so little and light.

10. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    I believe all girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by