1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help is pick chickens!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tracyanderson, Feb 11, 2015.

1. tracyanderson

tracyanderson New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Hi guys. We are new at this whole chicken thing and need your opinion on which chickens lay the most eggs and are best to have in south mississippi!!!

2. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    Australorps were recorded the most eggs layed in I think,a year?But beside egg laying,Buff Orpington and production reds have been best,same to Black hybrids(Black sexlinks).If your.looking for docile I would definitely consider the four breeds,too.

3. Eggmachine11

Eggmachine11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    MO
    My Production reds have been lead layers.Outlayed ducks too,as well as the rest of the hens.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm guessing you need breeds that can handle hot, steamy climates. If you go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum- you can locate and post on your state thread. You can ask people living there what kind of coop to build and what breeds can handle the weather.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. For sheer egg production, the best layers are White Leghorns (for white eggs) and Black and Red Sex Links (for brown eggs). These are the hens used by laying houses because they will both consistently churn out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Other excellent layers are Australorps, Production Reds, Austra Whites, and California Whites, all of which occasionally lay over 300 eggs per hen per year. As Eggmachine11 pointed out, a Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days although this is exceptional and not the norm. As long as your coop is well ventilated, they have plenty of shade, and plenty of cool, fresh water, all of these breeds and hybirds should be able to handle your southern Mississippi summers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It gets hot and humid here in northern FL in the summer (cold and humid in the winter, lol). Our mixed flock includes: Plymouth Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, Red Sex Links, Speckled Sussex and Easter Egger. All of these did well last summer with the coop well ventilated, plenty of water (including water to wade in) and cool/frozen treats like watermelon.

Choosing your flock is fun, the hard part is limiting yourself to what your conditions will accommodate.

Enjoy yourselves and this new venture!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you joined us, good luck with your selection.

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by