Help... Is she broody or is it something else?

Navi723

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Bethany, Oklahoma
One of my Buff Orpingtons is acting very weird. I suspect that she's broody because she stays in her nest All. The. Time. She's picked out her belly feathers and has stopped laying. However, we gather eggs multiple times a day, so nothing has been left in there for her to think she can hatch. She doesn't growl at me when I pick her up to throw her out of the nest and is quite docile, in fact.

What makes me worry that it's something other than broodiness is that when I do toss her out of the coop she runs around like she's drunk. She lets her wings hang loose at her sides. She takes off running in a sudden burst and squawks loudly. The other hens bully her now.

She's been like this for over a week now. Probably longer, but I only realized it about a week ago. All 11 of my hens look identical, so I finally marked her to determine if it was the same hen in the same two nests day after day. She's less than a year old, so it's not an old age thing.

Any ideas? Thanks!

So the drunkeness and loose wings are signs of broodiness, too? Good to know! I was trying to find that somewhere, but wasn't having any luck. LOL Good. I'll get to work on breaking her from it! :) Thank you!

Well, if it's something else, maybe someone will say something. But if yours is acting like this, too, then it's probably normal. I was just afraid I'd post this and someone would sound the alarm that it was some hideous chicken disease and my whole flock was going to die. Fingers crossed that doesn't still happen! :)

i don't think it would be a disease, because this is normal for a hen to do. mine does this, i set her on the ground ( after be finishes biting my hand off which it doesn't sound like yours does), she puffs her feathers and walks around trips over her feet a few times, the she looks around and bolts off. then we repeat this process :)

Back
Top Bottom