HELP - is she diseased???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ckseals, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ckseals

ckseals In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    I bought an Easter Egger girl from a nearby farm, and she has always displayed odd behaviors, but now I'm beginning to worry that she is diseased.
    She doesn't keep up with the other girls while free-ranging, she likes to stay behind and sit down. She will scratch for just a few minutes, and then she's sitting down again, with her head drawn in. She does this in the coop as well. She dirt bathes sometimes, but most of the time she's just sitting.
    She hasn't laid a single egg since I've had her (and the other I bought with her IS laying again). She's about a year old.
    She is CONSTANTLY picking at herself, in her feathers, on her legs and feet...none of my other chickens do it this much. She is constantly grooming herself.
    Her droppings have consistently been runny and orange-ish or greenish.
    She does not make normal chicken sounds. She doesn't talk at all. The only sound I hear from her is when I open the back door to come out to see them, she lets out an awful shriek that sounds like she's being hurt. Just one loud, piercing shriek. That's all.
    She doesn't seem to eat as much as the others. She's usually picking at herself more than the ground.
    Also, she often extends her neck upward and opens her mouth, almost like a stretch or a yawn, or as if she has something stuck in her throat.
    I've read about Capillary worms, but I don't have enough experience to know if that is the problem.

Help?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I hope you quarantined her for a while.

I would deworm her first. Then see what her poop looks like.

I would check her for lice or mites, she may have brought them along with her to infest the rest of your flock... check her vent, under her wings, around her feathers behind her head.

That's where I'd start...

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My first thought is internal and/or external parasites. Call the previous owners and ask if the birds have ever been dewormed. You can visually inspect her for mites/lice. Check her in the dark with a flashlight. Look under the wings and vent area, as they hang out in moist areas of the body.

My second thought is she not a year old, but older. She sounds like an older hen and typically more laid back and need to rest more often. I see this with aging hens and it can be quite normal. Although her green/runny stools are not normal, so not sure if age is involved. The fact that she is dusting is a good sign that she has strength and preening is a good sign too. Very sick chickens do not do this and will let their plumage go amess. She still cares about her body, so getting to the root of what's going on is important. Keep watching her for more symptoms. Hopefully some others will chime in with more thoughts.

4. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I'm thinking worms and/or mites too.

5. ckseals

ckseals In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Oh, and her legs are really scaly with weird bumps and raised skin.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Quote:That is scaly mites, smother the legs in vasilne or vetrx to get rid of them, or you could just worm her all together with Ivomectrian.

7. ckseals

ckseals In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Quote:That is scaly mites, smother the legs in vasilne or vetrx to get rid of them, or you could just worm her all together with Ivomectrian.

How might I find this Ivomectrian? How can I get my hands on that?

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Most feed stores, TSC etc carry it. It is an injectable for cattle but for chickens you put a dab on the skin, under wing or back of neck, depending on the size of your bird. It kills most worm types as well as lice and mites. It is the same chemical in dog heart worm tabs.
    You can also find it as a horse wormer in a paste, (cheaper if treating a small flock) but they only get about a dab the size of a pea or less in mouth.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Sounds like she may have more than one problem. I agree with the other posters - you should treat her for lice, worms & scaly mites. You should treat the whole flock since she may have infected them and make sure you don't eat their eggs for about 2 weeks after treating them for worms.

The way she stretches out her neck and yawns could be a symptom of gapeworm. Does she shake her head at all?

10. ckseals

ckseals In the Brooder

Dec 4, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Quote:Yes, she shakes her head also. Is gape worm treated differently? And is it easily spread to the rest of my flock? Crap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by