Help is she egg bound? UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Sep 5, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Okay, I'll try to make this short. I have a hen who was trying to lay her first egg today, in the outside coop area. Anyway, for 3 hours she stood there stund like and kept pushing, little drips of the whitish fluid would come out but she couldn't get the egg out. It got dark and she went in to roost. I don't know if she will lay thru the night or can this kill her or what. What could I have done? I was sitting by her (outside the coop) and telling her to push and it will be okay but I don't really think she understood me. Anyway, I feel so bad for her. Could it just be a really big egg?

UPDATE: Okay, so she went in to roost last night at 9pm and I went out there at midnite. She had finally laid the egg. Obviously it was broken, but she did get it out. It had a very brittle shell, I cleaned the whole area up so hopefully when they woke up this morning they didn't even have a speck to eat. Thanks for your support and ideas.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    once the chickens go to roost for the night go and get her and give her a soak in warm water that may relax her enough to allow the egg to pass...while she is in the water try and feel if there is an egg there use some KY to lube the area...I dont know if you can use vaseline in a pinch for KY

3. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Okay, I'm new at this, she won't try to attack me? Will it stress her out even more?

4. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I guess each chicken is different but I have 10 and i am able to walk up to them and pet them when they are getting ready to roost I have never had a problem with them attacking me...it may be a good idea to have the water ready before you go out

I was afraid to pick them up too at first i am new too my girls hatched on april 5 2008

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There are some good threads on chickens being eggbound on the topic "Emergencies". You might want to take a peek over there for ideas on how to handle.

A hen's earliest eggs are the most dangerous for her.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by