HELP! Is she really a Black Copper Marans hen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by littlecreekfarm, Sep 23, 2011.

1. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    I have bought a breeding pair of "Black Copper Marans." The rooster has slightly even more red on his chest, sort of like lacing, but definately not lacing. I have seen some pictures of The Marans club, and they have the red on their chests too, so I am not as worried for the rooster as I am the hen, who has white earlobes. They are white with some red around them. They are only about 4 months old, the breeding pair is. Can someone please help? Is this normal?
    Thankyou.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    She's probably not mature enough yet, it should get red when its around the time for her to lay.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Pictures would be most helpful. Does the cockerel have a lot of red on his chest, as in more than 10%? At that age, I would guess he is going to be too red, or mossy. White ear lobes in the pullets may indicate a Penedesenca influence, and a definate DQ for Marans. What do the combs look like on both sexes?? Post some pics so we can help you more.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  4. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Quote:Technically I can't ( I am the same owner, that was a friends account I was on) upload pics, but they haven't started to lay. And its not alot of laing on his chest, like a wyandotte, and its not really lacing, though. I think its ok. But they both have single combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by