HELP: Is she Show Quality? (Muscovy Hen) **PICS**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have this Muscovy hen, Ginger, That I am considering gifting to a 4H'er that has had a rough family life recently but has Really taken to the whole raising & showing ducks thing with 4H. His Leader came and bought some ducklings from me for him a while ago but I don't know if any will be SQ. I think that Ginger may be but I would like some opinions from those of you that have shown before & know better than i do! She has always been a "big girl" and when we first rescued her, she was about 7months old & i actually thought she may be a drake for quite a while. She has laid & brooded this year but has always had a loner personality.

She is solid chocolate with the white wing patches. her caruncling is a little excessive(down her neck) though. She is raspy-looking right now but he won't be showing until next year. Opinions Please!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All the little white spots are where more Caruncles are.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

anyone?

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    She's beautiful but I don't have any experience with show quality or what they look for. Maybe someone else will chime in.

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Judging by the standard Id say yes!!!

Before you show though the wings need to be all the way in....
    Also she needs to have no more than 10% white, if she is more than 10% white in her plumage she will be subjected to disqualification!!! The wing bows is not included!!!
    Your hen has a really nice head on her!!! about the white feathers... right before the show pluckthe white ones out!!!

This picture is NOT mine but I will use it as an example!

The white seen in the wings on this bird is where the white is desired(wing bows and isnt included in the 10%)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  5. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Where you say her cronicles is a little exessive.... this is what you want the more the better!!! especially on the male you want cronicles to cover the the face and to extend down the neck!

6. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    4-H judging is quite a bit more lax than adults showing. They will judge from the standard and birds that don't fit into the standard will have their own category. Our fair has a pet class and there is a best and reserve for every class. Even a child showing a mixed breed bird can still a best in class bird! They also don't disqualify birds for 4-H. (at least ours doesn't). The judges just point out things that would be a mark down or disqualifier in big shows so that the kids can learn. Ginger looks very pretty and if he keeps her in good condition and care she could be a winner for him! Very sweet of you to be donating one of your birds for a 4-H'er.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Most of my adult birds have been going into molt or regrowing a lot of their missing feathers. Ginger is VERY due for a molt & regrow, she's looked kinda "choppy" since we got her last christmas. She came from a nasty local farm that was starving all their animals. I have noticed recently she has gotten REALLY dark so she should be coming up for her molt.

I have been thinking of either donating/gifting Ginger or seperating her & breeding her to my Solid Chocolate drake, "Fatty" and then giving him the babies to raise. I am going to talk to the kids 4H leader & see which she thinks would be better. It would work out either way since he's not showing til next year.

Thank you guys for the input on Ginger, I thought her coloring was right but i wasn't sure about everything else sicne I have actually never shown any of mine before, lol.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I think she looks like!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by