help is snickerdoodle a roo or hen???? what breed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BigIslandChicks, Nov 13, 2010.

1. BigIslandChicks

BigIslandChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    i have this chickie and am wondering if anyone can tell the sex. i think it is about 8 weeks old?? but i have now idea as it is the last chick from our wild game hens babies. i think the father could be another wild game rooster that was around the woods at our old house. the chicks were hatched out in the woods so im not sure of the age. ive had them for about 6weeks and they were all pretty small when the momma first moved in our coop with them. anyway here are some photos of the chickie and one of the mamma hen if that helps with what the baby will look like?? thanks for any help..i have a few more pics. if needed. these are not the best...
    aloha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I'm going to say HEN due to the comb size and the squatty legs...I find that my roos have much longer legs and their combs seem to be more pronounced than the girls....so HEN for me...

[​IMG] HEN [​IMG] HEN [​IMG] HEN [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Well, being pea comb it would take longer for the comb to get large enough to truly tell. And being black fowl, it wouldn't turn red. But going off of plumage coloration etc I will say pullet. But black fowl can be tricky, it may turn out a stag, but am pretty sure it is a pullet.

-Daniel

4. BigIslandChicks

Nov 10, 2010
    thank you guys!
    that is what i was hoping to hear!!!HEN HEN HEN [​IMG] with the momma hen being a game bird i am not sure i am ready for a fighting roo...at least thats what most of them here are used for which is unfortunate [​IMG] someone else replied to an earlier post i had about this chickie possibly being a roo and they said not to worry if it was it will be fine with my 2 other roosters. hope so if thats the case [​IMG]

?? to: DTchickens... i saw that you raise game fowl on your signature..can you tell me what color eggs they will lay??? i am still trying to catch mamma and get her back in with everyone else... she has been nesting in the tree above the coop. she is so stealthy! any ideas on how to catch her?

thanks again aloha

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Should lay a white egg since she looks like a pullet to me! May have a beige tint.

6. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Does it have a pea comb? It looks straight to me and it looks like a campine mix to me too.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:American game eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/images/american_game/american_game-7779-826441.jpg (which is what she should lay, and I believe she is. Or she is at least a cross of.)

As for catching them, we've always chased them down using a net to throw over them. You can lure them in with feed, toss some feed in a pen and stand back waiting for them to go in then rush up and after that, they have no where to go. Another way we've caught them is having a pen with a stick holding it up, toss feed in the pen.. When they go into the pen, we yank the string tied to stick and then the pen falls down around them..

Then there is also, climb a tree [​IMG].

If it is a stag, it "might" be OK with two other roosters. If it is a pure game, then it will be top dog, after that it is depending on how aggressive the line is (meaning, will it chase the other two roosters to death. Or will it be fine with just being dominant and keeping them at bay?). Either way, I myself don't like chancing it. Anytime the other birds get near the feed if he's around, they're chased off, if they bred hens/tried to get water with him around -he's there in a second.

They wouldn't be able to roost together, if the two other roosters try fighting back (which some will, even if they have been beaten before) they will just get themselves hurt. But games aren't that hard to care of, you could always keep the games confined to their own little pens (I use 4X4 (or 5, or 6) pens for my pairs, dad/grandfather used these pens for trios and sometimes more birds. Trio is about as far as I like to use in them though, it can get a little crowded. I tend to only breed pairs for now though.) or you can stake the stag out on tie with proper circumstances.

-Daniel

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Mama is beautiful, I hope you can get her down.

9. BigIslandChicks

Nov 10, 2010
    UPDATE: momma has been in the coop and run for over a week now [​IMG] yeah me!! she is finally starting to calm down now and not go after everyone else in the coop. i think we have gotten 2 eggs from her as well! she has been squaking and making more noise than anyone else and the 2 eggs are smallish and light brown. im hoping i will be able to let her out to free range soon and she wont give me any trouble going back in at night? we shall see.... thanks again for the help. aloha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by