Help...is this a bad idea....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LindsaySinai, Oct 21, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I'm VERY pregnant and I have a coop with 2 full grown hens, another small coop with 3 eleven and a half week pullet mutts, and a large dog kennel with 2 eight and a half week cochins. It's to much for me to clean up after and the dog kennel is the worst so I'd like to add some chickens together to make my life a little easier. The two younger groups are exactly 3 weeks apart but theres a considerable size difference and more of the bigger ones. Do you think its a bad idea to put them together?? The two older groups are at different stages of food, and are a good size smaller, but theres more of the smaller ones so maybe the big ones wont be able to gang up on them as much. Are both ideas bad, maybe ones better then the other???

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a flock of 12 - ranging in age from 3 months to over a year. My youngest is a LF Cochin, so she's considerably big for her age. However, the others still pick on her... I say try it out.. The older ones will show the younger ones their place, and harmony will ensue.

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    hard to do, you can't just throw them all together...I just managed to integrate pullets with my hens...10 weeks apart...
    it was trying, and the little ones got picked on for a while...you need to do it slowly over a couple weeks.

4. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:At 8 1/2 weeks old do you think they'd be out of any danger from being pecked to death or any real damage?

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    they won't get pecked to death...you can put a cage in the main coop with the little ones,
    let the older ones see them, but can't get to them...slowly after a few days, you can let them mingle,
    but give the little ones some place to run and hide, its not fair to put them in a fire with no escape....
    you can try, but there WILL be pecking, no matter what the size of the chickens you are trying to add.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  6. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:The 8 1/2 week old and 11 1/2 week old have been caged right next to each other for 5 weeks so ill try them first. What do you think for a place to hide? A box? Wouldnt they just get cornered in there?

7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    yes, try these two first...just leave the cage open, my bigger ones could still get in, but they really just wanted to make a point, we are in charge you are not....that should work...just be there to watch...the first time I released mine, I couldn't take it, I stepped in and separated them! I was a baby....they worked it out, the younger ones stay out of their way

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I integrated 2 groups successfully but it 2 weeks to do and glad it worked out. I put the young 6 weekers in a large parrot cage where they where safe and put them together in the coop and let the other girls stay for a few hours the first day. The next day I opened the door to the parrot cage and let the go into the coop my all day while the other girls where in the run. I intentionally put water and food right next to each other but having the wire separate them so they could see each other while eating bc this is where the pecking order for sure is to happen. Now that they are kind of eating around each other there is an acceptance in some way or recognition. From the 3rd day on they went out in the coop in the morning to the coop without the carry cage. Day 10 I left 1 most curious girl with them very low on the pecking order in the coop with me in there ( nervous daddy ) to protect and interact with them I threw spaghetti out so Mable would share with them and then the next day I opened the coop and watched from the window helpless to do a thing if it happened but they really turned into 2 little self contained flocks running around in 1 run to be honest with you. I will be doing it once again with the new Polish kids coming and the 8th week will be turning my back and walking away looking through the kitchen window helpless to just trust. [​IMG]

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:At 8 1/2 weeks old do you think they'd be out of any danger from being pecked to death or any real damage?

One of the key things is the chicks are much fast most of the time. I put a lot obstacles in the way. Perches , branches , dishes , sand box and such. They will do OK.

10. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I do it all the time right now I have some little bantams (16 weeks) that just intergted into the main full sized flock. I put the little ones in a cage in the middle of the coop and left them there for 2 weeks so they could get used to each other then I opened the door and they eventually got brave enough to come out there was minimal pecking and shoving. Now they live together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by