Help!! is this a cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nikki993, Dec 26, 2012.

1. nikki993

nikki993 New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    We brought this Red Sussex around 4 months ago and from what we can remember it was around 3 months old. It was brought as a hen for me to go with my other 3 chickens for more eggs. was always bullied by the others but that has now passed and is fine with them. We was expecting having 4 eggs at some time but never happened. He/she has now started to do a very weird sounded crow and we heard that some hens can? Some things which put me off of it being a cockerel is it has no spurs growing? do these come at a later date or do some now even grow? other features which do feel more cockerel is the saddle feathers, has about 2-4 larger and longer sickle feathers which are tinted with green, pointy,shiny hackle feathers. and a slightly large comb and wattles.

these are the first chickens we have had so would really like some advice on this if possible, thanks

here are some photos I got of him/her:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thanks for your help!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's a cockerel.[​IMG] Saddle, hackle, and tail feathers are a tell tale giveaway. Spurs will develop as he matures.

3. nikki993

nikki993 New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks for this! really helps. will be rining up the place my parents brought HIM from to tell them they sold us a cockerel when we were told it was a hen! thanks again

4. Druantai

Druantai Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, def male.

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

beautiful boy!

6. nikki993

nikki993 New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    thought it may of been but wernt too sure! others opinions are much help :)

7. nikki993

nikki993 New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks :) he is such a lovely natured boy, will go to sleep on your lap since we had him [​IMG] mum said to get rid but im so attached that i cant do that!! now she doesnt mimnd as he is kind ;) and doesnt acually crow much....yet!

8. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure looks like a cockerel!

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    5000% cockerel

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks