Help!! is this a cockerel?

nikki993

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 26, 2012
We brought this Red Sussex around 4 months ago and from what we can remember it was around 3 months old. It was brought as a hen for me to go with my other 3 chickens for more eggs. was always bullied by the others but that has now passed and is fine with them. We was expecting having 4 eggs at some time but never happened. He/she has now started to do a very weird sounded crow and we heard that some hens can? Some things which put me off of it being a cockerel is it has no spurs growing? do these come at a later date or do some now even grow? other features which do feel more cockerel is the saddle feathers, has about 2-4 larger and longer sickle feathers which are tinted with green, pointy,shiny hackle feathers. and a slightly large comb and wattles.

these are the first chickens we have had so would really like some advice on this if possible, thanks

here are some photos I got of him/her:

Thanks for your help!

It's a cockerel.
hide.gif
Saddle, hackle, and tail feathers are a tell tale giveaway. Spurs will develop as he matures.

Thanks for this! really helps. will be rining up the place my parents brought HIM from to tell them they sold us a cockerel when we were told it was a hen! thanks again

Thanks :) he is such a lovely natured boy, will go to sleep on your lap since we had him
smile.png
mum said to get rid but im so attached that i cant do that!! now she doesnt mimnd as he is kind ;) and doesnt acually crow much....yet!

Back
Top Bottom