HELP! Is this a goose or gander?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Southernchickens, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Southernchickens

Southernchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I'm trying to figure out the same thing with our geese. [​IMG]

3. Arwen

Arwen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Austin (the weird part)
    Quote:I'm certainly no expert but if that is a Chinese Swan Goose then that's a female. If it's an African, I'm not sure. [​IMG]

I'm basing this on the lack of knob on the bird.

4. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Usually it's hard to tell without vent sexing the goose. If she lays any eggs she's a girl. Girls also tend to be more protective and grumpy then the ganders who are more laid back, but that's no sure way to tell.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I think you have that backwards. The geese are protective of their nests, but the ganders are usually the ones that are more 'outgoing' or 'aggressive'.

6. glenntwo

glenntwo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Cedar Creek TX
    Hard to tell from the pic, but from the pose he is striking I would say he is a young gander. His knob isn't completely formed yet, so it's hard to make a spot guess. What kind of honk does it have? Is it loud, or more of a grunting noise? If its loud and higher pitched, likely a gander; if it grunts and walks around with its head down in a more submissive pose, its probably a goose. You probably need to sex it to be sure, or you can just wait until he/she gets to mating season. BTW, does it have a mate?

7. Southernchickens

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    It had a mate but it died at an early age. I am looking for another mate right now. He lives with 18 ducks so he shouldnt be too lonely but I really want another goose for him. By his honk I think its a male. Its knob is actually a little bigger than the picture shows.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. glenntwo

glenntwo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Cedar Creek TX
    Yep, he's likely a young gander then. If you are looking for a mate, I suggest you find a confirmed female around the same age, maybe younger. If he's a male, then they should be fine. If not then you have two females, which will be fine too. And, if you eventually want to breed, and they are both females, finding a confirmed gander will be pretty easy.

Just take your time introducing them to each other as well as the rest of your flock and they should do OK. He/She really would do better with a mate, whichever way you decide to go.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  9. Southernchickens

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    Thanks for the info. Im going to try to find a female now

10. Sasa

Sasa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    I have a 4 week old gosling, Embden, being raised with three ducks, Runners. How soon will I know if she's, (being optimistic), a SHE or a HE?
    If this does turn out to be a gander, can he live with the ducks or will he need other arrangements? I already have an Embden gander and two geese, they want to killl the babies, I was hoping they'd be up for adopting them but no luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by