help! Is this a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ranchokelly, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ranchokelly

ranchokelly Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    joshua tree, ca
    I'm back AGAIN hoping for some expert advice!
    I concluded that a 9 week old from a batch of 5 is a rooster, and now I fear that another one in the group is also a rooster. I had one die from coccidiasis and have had 2 held back inside because they're half the size from being sick. I've been trying to introduce them to the group, and it's going horribly. I have to have them all separated, and the sickly cockerel is getting his face bloody fighting through the cages. I witnessed his fighting with one today, and both had all the neck feathers out and were bobbing heads in unison… I let him out, and the bigger one really tore into him and I broke it up. The one in question was sold to me as an Americauna hen, and I thought it was odd she still hasn't formed any cheek feathers.
    I'm attaching a photo and hope someone might have some ideas?
    I really got burned by this breeder - I bought them a few days old and paid $15-20.
    [​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It's a cockerel.

3. ranchokelly

Oct 6, 2013
    joshua tree, ca
    dang it dang it dang it!!!
    How can you tell? It's so gentle, except with that other cockerel!
    Ugh, I named it Peaches!

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    And definitely not a purebred americauna. Mine had a beard started at a day old, snd don't have yellow legs...

Might have some up the bloodline somewhere, my opinion is you didn't get what you paid for. Well duh to me, of course you didn't if you were told it was a pullet

5. ranchokelly

Oct 6, 2013
    joshua tree, ca
    Very frustrating - I was going to just get some basic easter eggers, but he sold me on the more expensive "purebreds", and even picked this one out specially for me! Said it was going to have some interesting colors.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! He's a handsome boy, so sorry. Some people are more honest than others.... Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by