HELP! Is this bumble foot?

angiegorham17

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
Is this bumble foot? I don't want to treat like it is and pull the scab like thing off and it not be and hurt his foot! He's a rescue and has had these on his feet but just started limping. Is he missing his middle toe, we believe something bit it off (close to where the big scab is) I can only upload one photos so I will attach his other foot photo in the comments, I believe he has it on both feet. He's on azithromycin and metacam. Waiting for booties to come, and tricide neo powder. Soaking in warm Epsom salt.

Swollen ankle is on the right side of pic

Hi. I don't really know if that is exactly bumble foot or not but I wanted to see how he was getting along. Did the antibiotics help?
My duck just came home from the vet with the exact antibiotics. He didn't say bumble foot but he did think that she had a staph infection in her ankle joint which probably started with a sore on her foot. These pictures were taken on Sat. She wasn't able to get to the vet until Monday and by then her joint was about twice the size it is in these pics. Infections move fast!

Is this bumble foot? I don't want to treat like it is and pull the scab like thing off and it not be and hurt his foot! He's a rescue and has had these on his feet but just started limping. Is he missing his middle toe, we believe something bit it off (close to where the big scab is) I can only upload one photos so I will attach his other foot photo in the comments, I believe he has it on both feet. He's on azithromycin and metacam. Waiting for booties to come, and tricide neo powder. Soaking in warm Epsom salt.

Yes it looks like bumblefoot to me.

You could also try the clear iodine method.

Soak the feet to soften the skin, dab clear (clear, not brown) iodone - just a couple of drops - on the bumble, let it dry, and check it 5 or 6 days later. A scab usually forms, that can be soaked, then gently pulled off. It will take some of the pus off with it. If it does not pull off easily, dab a little more clear iodine on, and try again.

Several people have used this method even with advanced cases. This would be in addition to the medication you are using.

I have read that foot infections can be related to joint infections.

Swollen ankle is on the right side of pic Hi. I don't really know if that is exactly bumble foot or not but I wanted to see how he was getting along. Did the antibiotics help? My duck just came home from the vet with the exact antibiotics. He didn't say bumble foot but he did think that she had a staph infection in her ankle joint which probably started with a sore on her foot. These pictures were taken on Sat. She wasn't able to get to the vet until Monday and by then her joint was about twice the size it is in these pics. Infections move fast!
Switched from azithromycin to clavamox, as there was no improvement after a few days and the swelling had gotten worse. Still on metacam, still soaking in Epsom salt, swelling I believe has worsened. Tomorrow I will see how the swelling looks, if it hasn't improved we will go to the emergency vet probably to open and drain the joint the is puffy and I'm assuming filled with fluid. If swelling decreases, I will switch to injectable baytril. I will keep you posted. Here's a pic from today
1f629.png

Yes it looks like bumblefoot to me.

You could also try the clear iodine method.

Soak the feet to soften the skin, dab clear (clear, not brown) iodone - just a couple of drops - on the bumble, let it dry, and check it 5 or 6 days later.  A scab usually forms, that can be soaked, then gently pulled off.  It will take some of the pus off with it.  If it does not pull off easily, dab a little more clear iodine on, and try again.

Several people have used this method even with advanced cases.  This would be in addition to the medication you are using.

I have read that foot infections can be related to joint infections.

I have been soaking in Epsom salt then I apply decolorized iodine to the dark scab things. Do I soak again after applying and then try to peel? I haven't had luck trying to remove them yet but the swelling has gotten pretty bad, it needs to drain, I feel so bad.

I have been soaking in Epsom salt then I apply decolorized iodine to the dark scab things. Do I soak again after applying and then try to peel? I haven't had luck trying to remove them yet but the swelling has gotten pretty bad, it needs to drain, I feel so bad.

The basic outline of treatment, from what I have been told is

1 soak to soften

2 dab a little clear iodine on the bumble

3 wait 5 or 6 days

4 soak to soften

5 try to peel scab. if it does not come off pretty easily, go to step one again

The basic outline of treatment, from what I have been told is

1 soak to soften

2 dab a little clear iodine on the bumble

3 wait 5 or 6 days

4 soak to soften

5 try to peel scab.  if it does not come off pretty easily, go to step one again

Back
Top Bottom