Help!! Is this coop going to be too small?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheRedStarGirl, Mar 23, 2017.

1. TheRedStarGirl

TheRedStarGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Some will say yes some will say no----but you will be ok with that for them to grow out in----you gotta keep them in a brooder for a few weeks. Once all these gets grown you will probably be hunting something bigger anyway. I know some can not build and being I can and being my chickens are not near my home---I don't know if I got that much money in all my coops-----LOL, runs yes but a lot of my coops are built with free pallets.
    About 1/2 of my coops and runs in this pic(counting both sides) so you can see what I am talking about----I had 8 chickens a long time ago----tooo. Chicken Math will catch you if you are not careful.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    CapricornFarm likes this.
  3. Penguino1

Penguino1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    I would just add a bit more coop space by getting rid of the nesting box area, and instead making your own on ground level. I have the same coop and the nesting boxes in the back of the actual coop take up quite a bit of space. I would also suggest adding more space to the now un-used nesting box by attaching a wood box (adding a few more square feet to the inside) so that they can all fit in there at night.

Katherine Robertson likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That actual coop portion of that setup is 2' x 3' according to the expert answering the Q&A(see below pasted from website).
    *I* would not put more than 2 adult birds in a coop that size...even if it is 'just for sleeping'.
    IPP Expert

· 9 hours ago

Here are the individual dimensions: Run 77”W x 36.4”D x 21.7-44.7”H Coop 22.2”W x 36.4”D x 23”H (5.6 sq ft) Nesting box 12.6”W x 36.4”D x 23”H

5. ScottandSam

ScottandSam I'm still here. Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @ScottandSam the nest dimensions are probably overall, guessing there are 2 dividers inside making 3 nest at 12" each.

7. ScottandSam

ScottandSam I'm still here. Premium Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Shell Knob, Missouri
    Ok I just read the 36" deep and 23" high. That why I thought they were huge. I just put my dividers in our nesting box it 12"hx 12" deep and when I sectioned off 12"w my hens looked way big so I decided to go 15" wide. So instead or 6 nesting boxes I only did 5. I'll add 4-5 more roll away style in the run to keep my run and coop at a 40 bird max. I'm not halfway to that max yet but I do not want to add on anymore to this coop and anything more than 40 I will just build a woods style 100 bird house in the front field. But that wont be for at least another year(lol) well 5 years if chicken math don't strike again.

Scott

8. Katherine Robertson

Katherine Robertson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2017
    This is so helpful! I have the same coop for 5 standards and 3 bantams. I'm thinking come winter they will need more space!

CapricornFarm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by