1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

HELP! Is this duckling dead?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PearlTheDuck, Jun 22, 2018.

1. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas
    My duck Millie went broody and I’ve had the absolute worst luck, around 30 eggs have either died or broke, there was one left and it internally pipped this morning, I could hear it scraping around inside, it has been 9 hours and after nothing else has happened I candled it, I don’t see any movement but a little bit of liquid moving in side if I turn the egg, I can see the body but like I said, no movement that I can see. Is it dead or just absorbing the yolk?

featherhead007 likes this.
  2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing 5 Years

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Sometimes they get quiet before a hatch, I had a friend who was waiting for a hen to hatch eggs, she gave up and thought they were not doing anything, so she tossed them in her compost grinder then heard peeping, :barnie you are doing good though in your thought they may be absorbing yolk, if they have not pipped the yolk is not absorbed, also, they absorb up to 24 hrs after the first pip,

3. featherhead007

featherhead007 Crowing

Feb 2, 2017
    Poplar- Porterville CA.
    Maybe she's just too pooped to pip?:confused:

chrisb01 and PearlTheDuck like this.
  4. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

The duckling has not put any crack in the eggshell but the air sack is broke through in the egg, which I realized 9 hours ago, should it have already absorbed it before the break through the air sack?

5. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN" Premium Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    It's my understanding that they don't start absorbing the yolk until they make that internal pip. That's when they start breathing air, and it can still take 24 hours or more before they actually start to pip the outside of the shell.

6. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

When I candled it at dark and I could see better, absolutely no movement or sound but a decent amount of liquid that moves around when I turn the egg. Should it be making peeping noises? Is it just resting?

7. shawluvsbirds

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    If it had in fact internally pipped, then you should be able to see the shadow of the bill in the air cell when your candleing. Where are you seeing liquid? In the air cell? That wouldn't be a good thing. :(

8. shawluvsbirds

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
    Sometimes they do take long rests after internal pip but you should be able to gently tap the shell while candleing and get it to move a bit Or hear a chirp from it if it has pipped into the air cell.

9. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

I havnt tapped it but when I’ve turned the egg a bit it hasn’t moved :(

10. PearlTheDuck

PearlTheDuck Songster

Oct 19, 2016
    Texas

The side of the egg is all liquid and everything moves around when I turn the egg, and around the bottom of the egg (where the air cell is) it is reddish when I candle it. I think it died and the air cell might of been deformed :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: