1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help?! Is this going right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenMom-AK49, Oct 13, 2012.

1. ChickenMom-AK49

ChickenMom-AK49 Out Of The Brooder

Hi I have eggs that started hatching last night around 2 AM and its 2:27 in the afternoon now. They haven't shown much progress but they are chipping more of the shell off... However the membrane is still intact, is that normal? I can't see a beak or anything.. should I be worried? Should I help? Or should I just wait?

2. ChickenMom-AK49

I have thought I have to increase humidity maybe. They are in a brinsea 7 egg incubator (digital), but I am too scared to open it but I dont want them dead in shell :( I just lost 3 eggs last week and these three are my last try.. I'm just so worried about them, reminds me of when I was in labor with my son!

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yep, just wait. I had one hatch this morning who pipped 36 hours before zipping. Most times they pip 12-24 hours before they zip. You probably won't see the beak. While they are zipping you will hear a lot of chirping, and bits of shell falling. Then there will be a pause with no action while the chick takes a nap to recuperate for the next round of zipping, and turns to be able to access a new place in the shell to continue zipping.

As tempting as it is to help, more often than not if you show self-restraint and patience, they will hatch themselves unassisted.

4. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    I would wait it out a few more hours. It can take up to 24 hours for them to come out sometimes. Its up to you whether or not you want to help them out. Some people say not to do it because it promotes weakness in your flock, but I have helped mine out on many occasions with minimal problems. Just take off the top part of the shell where the air sac is very, very carefully. But as I have said it all depends on if you feel you need to help it out or not.

5. ChickenMom-AK49

I have almost had to tie myself to my chair and we've all been watching in anticipation since we saw they actually pipped! SO exciting! I can't wait :)

6. ChickenMom-AK49

I'll give it until tonight and if there is no progress I'll try helping. I just take the shell off slowly without hurting the membrane correct? Then would I set the egg back into the bator?

7. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    IF you help get some tweezers, and just chip at the shell in the same way the chick would zip around the shell. If you are hearing peeps I wouldnt worry it could still be absorbing the yolk and when its ready will zip and come on out.

If you hear frantic peeps it may need help. If I help I usually only open a hole to where it can get more oxygen in. Unless it has been a looong time since its done anything and I dont hear peeps. Sometimes helping can do more damage then good though.

Be careful and if you see blood, STOP.

Good luck!!

8. ChickenMom-AK49

I wanted to update you wonderful ladies! Baby #1 is out! There are two more pips as well and a Lotta cheeping going on!

9. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Congrats on the baby!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Great to hear they are hatching well!