Help is this lice or what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvchicks8, Jul 13, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I have never dealt with mites or lice so I am not sure but I picked up my new rooster who is all white and up by his head attached to his feathers are brown oval shaped things that are pretty small but easily seen against his white feathers. if so what do I do and can I treat ducks geese aslo?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Thanks I think that is what he has although lucky he has not been exposed to my other birds. These insects are actullay very small and crawling on him so I ran to my local agway and bought de spray and sprayed all chickens and cleaned ou there pen again even though he was not exposed to there pen I figured can't hurt right.

4. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Quote:From what I've always understood lice tend to lay eggs near the vent. Make sure you look him over good because if they are up that high on his body he most likely has them elsewhere as well. The egg sacks are a pain to get off. Some times you can pick them off. Other times you need to pluck the feather.

And yes, I feel it's always best to treat your entire flock to be safe. Lice are strange buggers. All our birds roost in the same coop, but only a few had lice at one time. Treated them all and problem was solved, but I always thought it odd how so few had them despite them being right next to eachother.

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sounds like lice...get some Sevin Dust and Sprinkle some on the chicken, and make it go into it's feathers. I have always used Sevin Dust on my chickens to get rid of and prevent mice and lice.

6. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Sounds like lice - I got a poultry dust from TSC - but it's basically the same as sevin. I had a trial size baby powder dispense - that I emptied and put the dust in. Made it easy to apply - just like powdering - well - a baby [​IMG]
    But I made sure to mark it CLEARLY that it is poultry dust - so no one decides to use it as baby powder - though can't imaging why if it's in the shed with my chicken stuff

They're fairly easy to get rid of. Mites are worse.

7. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    How do you feel about permethrin? One of the 4-H leaders recommended it. We have used it in the past (very, very diluted of course) and had great success with it. I'm curious now if it's not considered a safe alternative given all the comments I've seen on using Sevin dust. We've used Sevin in the past, but our one Brahma seemed to have a bad reaction to it. It could have been from something else, though. She got a red & irritated patch of skin on her belly a day or two after we dusted her. [​IMG]

8. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    I think the poultry dust I use is pemythrin ....(never could spell it .... not sure though. I think it's personal preference as long as you follow the directions for use you should be fine.

9. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Ok so iI used this spray bottle stuff called poultry protector held each bird up examaning them and spraying there whole bodies (rooster did not like this) but he was infested I mean bad so I treated him and kept him in by himself then gave him a luke warm bath to stop the horrible itch he must have had. I then reexamed him and that is some good stuff I saw a tone of dead bugs in the water and no crawling ones on him either so all birds are done and so is the coop and bedding. [​IMG] hope it works.

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

That stuff, "Poultry Protector," will not treat an infestation. It is a preventative, not a treatment.

Use (Permethrine) Poultry Dust. It works well. However, one treatment is not enough. You must treat again in a week. I have read where many do the dust treatment each week for 3 or 4 weeks. This assures that the (lice and mites) eggs are killed and not hatched.

Also, be sure to clean your premises thouroughly. Everything must come out of the coop .... dust and clean, and then treat the coop as well. All new bedding. It works well to sprinkl Sevin Dest or Poultry Dust in the new bedding too. The roosts must be cleaned and sanded down and treated. (Adams Flea and Tick Spray works well for this also.)

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by