Help! Is this little fellow dead?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by launius, Aug 24, 2013.

1. launius

launius Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Crossett, Arkansas
    I think this little guy is dead but I wanted to ask some experts first. This little guy was looking normal earlier today but about an hour ago I noticed its shell turning gray. I know that is not good so I took him out to examine. He had already externally pipped so I pulled back a little of the shell and outer membrane. It appeared that his nostrils were covered with the inner membrane. it was dried over the nostrils but the rest was gooey. I removed more of the shell and more of the gooey membrane. I was able to pull his head out and could see the yolk still unabsorbed fully. I put him back in the bator just in case but there has been no movement. I don't want to give up too early on him but I also don't want contaminate my other eggs that are yet to hatch. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Here are some photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

If he isn't moving when you nudge him a little, then he's dead.

3. launius

launius Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    Crossett, Arkansas
    Bummer! I figured as much...there hasn't been any movement since before I noticed the color change in his shell. I'll go ahead and remove him from the bator and dispose of. [​IMG]

4. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Sorry about that...

5. Obrienm

Obrienm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    I know it can be hard losing an egg, hang in there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by