Help! Is this little guy a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barredrock254, Aug 19, 2013.

1. barredrock254

barredrock254 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    I know for certain that this guy right here, Pretty Boy, is a rooster because he just tried to do the chicken dance to me. All of my chicks are mutts from a Red Silkie Roo and RIR's, NH's, Comets and Barred rocks.

[​IMG]

He has a nice, strawberry-red rose comb.

This one here, Blaze, I am not so sure about. It is about twice as big as Pretty Boy and shows dominance towards him and they also fight each other.

[​IMG]
    Blaze has a weird single comb that is really wavy.
    I think this one is mixed with a rhode island red hen.

Here is what one of the definite hens look like. Her name is Clover.
    [​IMG]

Here are more pics of Pretty Boy and Blaze.

[​IMG]
    Blaze^^^
    [​IMG]
    Pretty Boy <(left) and Blaze (right)>
    [​IMG]
    Pretty Boy ^^^

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. barredrock254

Oct 30, 2012
    The reason I know that Blaze is mixed with a RIR is that he/she is very dominant, acts like my old RIR, Big Red, and is redder than the others.

3. barredrock254

Oct 30, 2012
    Anybody have any Ideas?

4. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC
    How old are these folks? I'm trying to compare feather shape and coloring, comb growth waddles, etc. Behaviour is sometimes a good indicator but not always, so I try to stick to physical traits versus how they act. Are you able to get any good pics of his/her saddles and hackles? I'm tempted to say Blaze is a girl because I think her coloring should be lighter for a roo, but without being able to know the age and see some of the tell-tale feathers, it's hard to know. Plus, Blaze seems to be holding herself in a more girly way, kind of lower to the ground and "busty" (not a technical term! haha). I don't see any obvious painted feathers on the upper wings either, which you will often see with roos. Anyway, hopefully others will comment. Good luck - let us know about the age and whether you're able to get any good shots of her back (or his back!).

5. barredrock254

Oct 30, 2012
    They are eight weeks and two days old. They all hatched in a period of one-two days so they are relatively the same age. In the pictures, Pretty boy's comb looks pinker than it actually is. It is super red.

Here is Pretty Boy's Photoshoot:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Blaze's Photoshoot (ignore my face please):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some of the other hens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for helping!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Blaze is male.

7. srslychickning

srslychickning Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2011
    Garner, NC
    Ah, the pictures help a lot! They are both roos. Note how their comb and waddles are much larger and darker than your hens. Those combs and waddles kind of shout "ROOSTER" to me. Also, I noted that your hens have more feathered-out legs than the boys. Hens tend to get their feathers in more quickly than roos. I'm pretty sure they are both boys, but you'll know for sure once you hear a crow or see an egg! BTW, it's good to see your face in pictures! So many people post chicken-only. Nice to see who you're talking to sometimes. :)

8. barredrock254

Oct 30, 2012
    Okay! Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by