1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Is this pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Canegirl0713, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Canegirl0713

Canegirl0713 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    [​IMG] this is as good a pic I could take.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's hard to answer from a pic, though usually there is more dried poop visible than that. If the chick is pooping, it's not. "Pasty butt" refers to when the vent hole is blocked with dried poop so that they cannot poop. A bit of "leftover" poop on nearby feathers is not a problem to the chick. [​IMG]

3. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    If you can pull back the down and still clearly see the vent, the chick is fine. Pasty butt is when dried poop blocks the vent so that the chick can no longer poop, and it needs to be dealt with immediately so that it doesn't kill the chick. If at any point you notice your chick's vent has been obstructed by dried poop, immediately take the chick aside and carefully remove the poop--I usually use warm water and a q-tip to wash it off.

4. Canegirl0713

Canegirl0713 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Thanks everyone. A friend of mine thinks it's the umbilical cord.

5. x2

6. Balloonjuice

Balloonjuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    I watched a video on youtube and the lady used cotton balls. I suppose anything like that would work. I don't have water near the brooder, so I have to carry water out there. When it is cold outside, as it is right now, how long should I keep the chick outside the brooder and how much stress am I placing on her just by holding her. My chicks will be a week old tomorrow (Tuesday).

Thanks for any info. I have a couple of chicks that I'm having to watch for this. The other 22 seem to be ok. Also, I can tell when I've been successful because the chick poops almost immediately.

7. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Chicks will kick up an awful fuss while you wash their bottoms, but as for how much real stress you're inflicting, I couldn't say. If you listen to the chicks while you're doing it, you're just absolutely murdering them, but when it's all said and done, they go back to business as usual as though nothing at all happened.

When it comes to having chicks out of the brooder when it's cold, they should be fine for as long as it takes to get the job done. After all, in nature, they'd be running around in the outside air for prolonged periods of time, returning to warm up under the mama hen once in a while. Your hands will also provide some warmth, but if you feel like the chick is getting chilled, return it to the brooder and try again after it's had a chance to warm up.

8. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    Thanks. Probably sounds like "common sense" to an old hand, but to a n00bie it is all . . . well, new. [​IMG]

9. PrairieChickens

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Better to ask a question and seem silly than to lose chicks to preventable mistakes. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Balloonjuice

Jun 15, 2013
    Styx, TX
    I don't even have to ask questions to seem silly. Just ask my grandkids.[​IMG] "Silly silly grandpa!!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by