Help! Is this Red Star Sex Links actually a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jonross, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jonross

jonross Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    We have two Red Stars, both approx. 18 weeks old. I assumed they were hens since as chicks they were both red. But Carmel's comb is not only way bigger than the other Red Star but it's bigger than any of our other six chickens (all between 14 and 19 weeks old). Carmel is also definitely squawkier than the other chickens. So my first question is are Red Star roosters ever red instead of the normal white and buff color? But then I read where their crops grow larger when they start laying eggs. Could that be the explanation for the squakiness and the enlarged comb? Here's a picture:

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/jonwross/?action=view&current=IMG_0132.jpg

(I'm unable to post pics here ... I'm still unclear about how that you gain that privilege).

You can see the other Red Star in the background. Here's a closer pic of the other Red Star, just to give an idea of the difference. Is it common for them to develop at such different rates?

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/jonwross/?action=view&current=IMG_0134.jpg

As always, I appreciate the feedback from all you awesomely helpful and knowledgable folks! Thanks!

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    She's a pullet, and getting very close to laying!

You should be able to post pictures... You have 11 posts and the new rule was 10.

3. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ok so not an expert don't even have any chicks yet but been on here reading since april.

With that said here's my opinion, if you bought sex links it should be a hen unless hatchery mix up but that seems unlikely to get 2 birds same coloring different breeds. I've heard that their combs get larger and redder when they lay.
    Are yours laying yet?
    Also that the head hen can start to look and act like a roo sometimes.

Hope that helps or someone else with much more experience can answer for you.
    Good luck![​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Looks like a hen to me!

5. Stumpfarmer

Stumpfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Quote:When posting from Photobucket, you need to go to the part of the "Share" menu (lower right hand corner of your links) and click on "IMG code" at the bottom of the menu, hence:

[​IMG]

6. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    I agree. Her comb is getting bigger and darker since she is close to laying. Get ready for some eggs!!

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

here is mine at 22 weeks, and just started laying...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by