Help! Is this Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Joani Gust, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Joani Gust

Joani Gust Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2016
    Utah
    I purchased 4 new 'Welsummers' from my local IFA store this year and I have TWO that don't look like Welsummers to me! . [​IMG]but I am not sure ??!? Do any of you know [​IMG] I am guessing either they are a different breed that I don't recognize or a rooster! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Yep they're Welsummer cockerels, both of em.

3. Joani Gust

Jul 1, 2016
    Utah
    Dang! I was afraid of that! Thank you so much for your quick response! Have you had experience with the disposition of Welsummer cockerels? I had to get rid of 3 other breed roosters because they attacked my granddaughter. Are the Welsummers friendly at all? I have 37 chickens right now and LOVE my 2 Welsummer hens and their 'chocolate' eggs, but I am worried that the cockerels might become aggressive and mean like the others. Is there any way to help prevent that? (My granddaughter loves to help with the chickens and I don't want her to be afraid - we call her the 'chicken whisperer' because she's so good with them, she even rubs their tummies and they fall asleep)[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

With that adorable little girl, I'd just pass on the roosters for now. Once she's a little older and more confident you might want to add a male to your flock, but for now I don't think it would be worth the stress.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae - your chicken whisperer has that bird so relaxed

6. Joani Gust

Jul 1, 2016
    Utah
    [​IMG] It's amazing how quickly she took to loving it! Now she says she wants to be a Vet (She's 4yrs old - cutie pie) I LOVE chickens!

7. Joani Gust

Jul 1, 2016
    Utah
    so sad! I wish they would have been Hen's (I always feel bad about getting rid of the roo's)

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I agree with the others. In your case I just wouldn't risk it with that lil girl around. No need to have that thought in the back of your mind. They could be just fine for a long time "and likely would" but there is always that chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by