1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Is this Vent Gleet??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TessaSpeckled, Oct 6, 2015.

1. TessaSpeckled

TessaSpeckled Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015
    Eugene
    One of my girls has had a stinky butt problem :( when she was a few weeks old she had pasty butt (so I thought) kept her warm but not hot, plenty of fresh water and clean bedding everyday. I've tried water and Ava, probiotic water, but nothing has seemed to help her problem. I have no idea what she has and it's starting to worry me! Help!!!

2. TessaSpeckled

Aug 10, 2015
    Eugene
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Her butt and the poo that comes out when she tries. She has a hard time relieving herself, she almost pants and makes a deep breathing noise. Her poo is kinda liquidy and smells RANK!

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Does her belly feel swollen?

-Kathy

4. TessaSpeckled

Aug 10, 2015
    Eugene
    It does feel swollen, her belly just seems huge almost like it sits super low to the ground :(

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I suspect that it could be full of fluid and that fluid it putting pressure on her intestines, heart and lungs. can you clean off all the poop and post new pictures?

-Kathy

6. TessaSpeckled

Aug 10, 2015
    Eugene
    Kathy I tried to give her a good clean wash but she just wasn't having it [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. TessaSpeckled

Aug 10, 2015
    Eugene
    I stretched some photos! Hopefully it helps? She gets messy so fast:(

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Is there any way you can take her to a vet?

-Kathy

9. TessaSpeckled

Aug 10, 2015
    Eugene
    I can yes! Any idea of what it may??

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I think she could have ascites or an infection. Would be best to have a vet look at her.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by