1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Issue with comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2lilchkns, Aug 29, 2014.

1. 2lilchkns

2lilchkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi all,
    Today, I noticed that our favorite hen has a discolored comb with some what on it, as well as black spots. Could this be a fungal infection? [​IMG]
    Thank you so much for any and all advice! (I called an exotic vet who sees chickens, but they have no appointments until next week... So if there is anything I can do now, I want to get on it.)

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    It looks like Thrush or Favus (I get confused between the two, but I think it's Thrush) to me. Thrush is a fungal infection that grows on the comb and wattles, and it looks like someone sprinkled flower all over it. I would quarantine her immediately. Also, I would handle her with gloves because sometimes fungal infections can be transmitted to humans, I'm not sure if Thrush is contagious to humans or not, but I would play it safe. Hope she gets well!

3. 2lilchkns

2lilchkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Thank you! I used Micanazole cream last night, and it looks better already. I plan to use it once daily, for seven days... Keeping my fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by