HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!It looks worst then I thought

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fratmor, Jun 7, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    I lost a chicken today ,she looked fine this morning . the rest of my chickens looked fine this evening , but I just went out to lock them up and they are mostly breathing very heavy and they have their wings droppy.I 'm afraid of what I might find tomorrow. this doesn't look good.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    how old are they?
    are they eating and drinking?
    what breed are they?
    other symptoms?
    whole flock or just a few?

3. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    10 months most of the flock is panting.they ate their mash at about 5 pm .At 830 I went to lock coop and they are on the roosts panting and drooppy wings

4. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    Help!

5. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I have to ask the obvious question; are they too hot? Panting makes me wonder. Also, is it possible their feed has gone bad---and if you feed a wet mash, did it sour in the warm weather? If so, you may be seeing the effects of food poisoning (toxins). If the latter, I would feed them molasses water ( add enough food grade molasses to water to make the solution a medium caramel color) which acts as a chicken laxative, to try to move the toxins out of the GI system faster...but it's not a cure for toxins already affecting the body. Aside from that, is there ANY chance they could have eaten any other poisons, such as pesticide, garden fertilizer, any thing at all aside from their regular feed?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    What's the temp like where you are? I'd get a fan on them, and put out some shallow pans of water- they sound like they're overheated. Mine have been like that on and off this week, but the fan really helps.

7. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am fairly new, but I would most likely give them water with the tetracycline and enzymes/vitamins in it. I think the tetracycline has to be changed daily. Read the label, ours stays in the freezer until I need it. Good luck. Hope they are just a little hot.

8. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    Quote:they have a fan running in the coop .it was high 80s today but I was in the coop and it is not hot in there at all.I feed them mash 2X a day A.M. and eve the food is not out there more then 20 minutes at a time they have dry food in the coop 24/7 .they are locked in a hard wired pen during the they so they never roam around unless i'm with them and they where not lose today.

9. fratmor

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    just checked on them this morning they all seem ok .thanks to everyone who responded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by