Help! It's been 10 weeks and my chickens do not get along.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by twyllie, Aug 21, 2016.

1. twyllie

twyllie New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    HELP!!!!

I have 3 Americaunas (16 wks old) that I have been trying to put together with my 6 ISO browns (21 wks old), and 4 silkie bantams (19 wks old) for 10 weeks now. They sleep in the same coop and roost together, however the ISO and Silkies will not let the Americanas in the run. I often find serveral ISO in the coop keeping the Americaunas on the roost. I find feathers in the coop and the shavings are all piled up from them being chased. When I let them all out to free range the chicks and rooster still go after them. I have introduced the using a dog cage, and have been puting the Americaunas in the dog cage next to the run so they can at least get fresh air. I need HELP! I do not want to have to give the Americaunas away.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It will take more time. All your birds are young and there are no adults. Also groups not raised together tend to stay away from each other. Your groups will eventually be one flock when they are mature but always separate groups.

I would stay out of it unless blood is being drawn. It's quite normal for younger chickens to act like that, and all chickens like of enforce the pecking order.

It can help to have places for birds to get up on, or under to get away from each other. It's always best to add a single group of chicks raised together to an adult flock for an easier integration. Kids with kids can sometimes take longer.

3. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    Have you tried adding the Newbies to the flock at night?
    The chickens are so out of it that they don't know that some new ones have been added......Most chickens anyway.........

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big is your coop and run(in feet by feet)?
    How many of these birds are males?

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

The more space, the better.
    Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Eh, not really.......Like bobbie-j sez: "chickens aren't the brightest animals on this planet, but they're not that stupid."

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Full details re: size of coop and run needed in order to give helpful information.

6. VolailleAmant

VolailleAmant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Michigan
    aart.
    Quote: Are you saying that I do not know what I am talking about?
    I am just trying to suggest something.
    I am 13 years old.....NOT a chicken expert, I am just trying to learn as must as I can and help people with what I know.

7. twyllie

twyllie New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    My coop is 8x 4. And the run is 98 square feet. It might be a little small for 12 hens and 1 rooster.

Been separating the ISO and rooster and putting the Americaunas with the 3 silkies. There is no problem there. More so with the rooster and ISO's. Will try to put one ISO in at a time. Thanks for the advice.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes, your space is too small, more than a little....especially for integrating birds.
    I wouldn't put more than 6-8 in that space.

What is your climate?
    Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better and answers/suggestions

Might be best to let a few birds go......or enlarge the coop and run.

BTW, what are ISO's...do you mean ISA's, a type of hybrid high production layer??

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Not a little too small. Way too small. You're short by about 20 sq ft for the coop and about 32 sq ft of run space. Reduce numbers or enlarge all space available. And do it quickly. Once overcrowding stress starts causing aggressive behaviors, it can be very difficult to stop even after the birds have adequate space.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would not put more than 6 birds in that coop/run space and would not have a rooster at all in a coop/run that small. I agree with JB. Overcrowding can result in life long behavioral issues that involve cannibalism, feather picking, and other issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by