Help! It's day 25 incubating call ducks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by confusedturtle, Jun 6, 2016.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    This morning as I was prepping the incubator for lockdown I started candeling all of the eggs and one of them was popped open at the top. I didn't notice any movement inside so I started "investigating" gently and picked away at the membrane, which was pretty thick by the way. I can clearly see feathers, the yolk looks very thick & began to leak so I stopped immediately and put it back in the incubator. Does this one look like a goner? Do you think it tried to hatch early and I didn't catch it soon enough to help? I candled all of them on Saturday and they all looked good with big air cells and movement. What should I try to do next: should I try to help it, should I let it go, does it look dead already, is there anything at all I can do? Please help [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If it had pipped itself you'd see the beak up in the air cell. If the yolk is ruptured there's little chance that it is alive. The way that looks in the pic, like it's drawn down like that actually looks to me like it may have shrinkwrapped, but it's not something I can say for sure from that pic.

3. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG] that's what I was afraid of. I have seen no change in it lol day, I will probably toss it in the morning. Thank you. I will be keeping a close eye on the others now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by